PDA

View Full Version : My new female Fiddler has mated with my new male Fiddler!

aquatic lover
08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Two nights ago two of my Fiddler crabs were mating and now the female has her eggs sticking out of her stomach! I think that this is very neet and obviously I shouldn't change any thing in my tank because they must like the enviorment they are in!:hmm3grin2orange:

DrNic
08-12-2009, 02:07 AM
That's great!! How many crabs do you have in your tank now? How many eggs does a female carry?

I still REALLY like your air bubble in the middle. Do they go in there a lot?

General question, is it fresh-, salt- or brackish- water?

aquatic lover
08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
That's great!! How many crabs do you have in your tank now? How many eggs does a female carry?

I still REALLY like your air bubble in the middle. Do they go in there a lot?

General question, is it fresh-, salt- or brackish- water?
I have four Fiddlers in the tank, The female carrys up to a thousand eggs, yes they really like there air bowl, the tank is a brackish water tank.

rich311k
08-12-2009, 02:17 AM
That is so cool. Any chance they will hatch and develop?

aquatic lover
08-12-2009, 02:21 AM
No none of them would survive in captivity it's like a 5-95% chance that one or three zoea would survive.

ChromeLibrarian
08-12-2009, 03:47 AM
It is almost not possible that any of the hatching eggs would survive. Fiddler crab larvae need completely different conditions than the crabs themselves. In the wild, the larvae go out to sea into a completely marine environment until they turn into crabs. It might be possible to provide such an environment, provided you could separate the crab larvae, move them into an appropriate marine tank, then provide them with the proper planktonic critters to eat. I've seen some sites that allege that they actually need waves.

I've also seen sites where "someone" says they know "someone" who raises them, but I take them with a large grain of salt.

The most credible source for breeding I've seen was a person who said they did regular water changes with water from an estuary, which would have some of the food in it already. I question how they would do water changes without accidentally changing their crab larvae out of the tank, so I take that story with some more salt.

Maggot
10-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe a few will be successful in hatching. It would be neat to try to imitate their natural habitat to get them to hatch and grow.

Deleted User
10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Congratulations!!! They obviously are very happy under your care thumbs2: