PDA

View Full Version : Pest control in aquaponics

BIO-Linist
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Obviously conventional chemical methods are out of the question. How to mitigate damage from insects and other small pests? What do the pros do? Can anything be done short of sealing off the plants from the environment?

fraggle
10-20-2009, 05:29 AM
BIO here's a link to some great info on how to keep the pests at bay

http://www.aquaponics.net.au/Email3.html

Sorry about the late reply

plantedlab
10-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Fraggle, that's an interesting article. Pest control was a big issue in my outdoor setup this year. I really feel that isolation and effective bio-security practices are critical for making aquaponics viable.

BIO-Linist
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
hehe that's ok!

I've seen a picture of a farm with rows of vegetables (in the ground, not aquaponics) completely covered on all sides with some kind of white fabric stretched over a frame. A worker was spraying water at it directly with a garden hose so it must be pretty strong while letting water through easily. The picture was in a geography textbook.

I was wondering, is there some kind of durable fine netting that keeps out bugs but allows sunlight, air and water through, and that is (hopefully) easy to find and inexpensive?

fraggle
11-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I haven't seen anything sorry BIO. I"ll see if I can do some scrounging and find something (although it might be different "down under" to what you can get)

Crispy
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Product called EndAll. Comes in a yellow squirt bottle. We use that for pests including mites. You spray it on the bottoms on the leaves. All natural stuff, supposed to be totally safe as far as I can remember.

jamesclarke160
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Obviously conventional chemical methods are out of the question. How to mitigate damage from insects and other small pests? What do the pros do? Can anything be done short of sealing off the plants from the environment?

Hello I want to use this thread to gather pest control information. I have brought new aquarium and looking to save my fishes and plants from pests. DO you have some effective natural pest control methods?

KingFisher
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
This thread is over 3 years old. Please make your own thread to ask your questions.