PDA

View Full Version : Sexing honey gouramis

holbritter
03-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok, I couldn't resist!! I got 2 new honey gouramis yesterday, to replace the one's I lost.
Now...I really need to find out what sex they are, because if they are both males...I guess I'm in trouble. I took a couple of pics, but as you can tell, they came out badly.
If you can tell, please let me know. If not, does anyone know a site with pics that I can compare with?
I think they are just under an inch, so they are not fully mature yet.
Any help appreciated!

hungryhound
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
It's really hard to tell from the pictures. This site talks a bit about sexing Gourami's, and it includes a visual aid.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/faq2060.htm

holbritter
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks! I think I have 2 males. I can tell it might be a problem already, as one keeps chasing the other. :(

holbritter
03-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Actually, the one keeps trying to poke the other with it's long feelers things(sorry...don't remember what they are called)

hungryhound
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I must admit I don't know the technical term for the feelers either. We have 3 Dwarf Flame Gouramis (all male) and the only aggression we see is amongst them. Even then the aggression really isn't bad (normal just a short chase across the tank). It is kind of neat to watch them dance around each other (it kind of looks like they're trying to hug and they get the feelers involved).

I think you should be fine, just keep an eye on them to make sure their is no fin nipping :)

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2007, 12:31 AM
i just call em feelers.

holbritter
03-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Feelers works for me :)

I went back to the LFS, and found out a couple of things. They are calling them Flamingo Honey Gourami. And they told me they are not babies or juvies.
Soo......with that I have to go with female, because all the male pics of full grown honey gouramis have a dark belly area, and these dont.

Maybe I'll never know :) But I got 2 more, so either I have 4 females or 4 males.

hungryhound
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I would guess that you have all males. We have 3 Dwarf Flame Gouramis and they're all male. My wife is always checking at the LFS for females, and we've never been able to pick any out....but you never know:)