PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Amphibian - Please Help Identify

321AquaMan123
08-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi, this is my first post. I apologize if I posted this in the incorrect area. I also apologize as the creature I'm trying to identify is extremely tiny. I have 2 aquariums sitting outside on my picnic table that I was going to setup eventually. 1 of the 2 tanks that was sitting outside now has a small frog in it. I was just randomly looking them over 1 day this summer and the frog appeared. I don't know if he developed from a tadpole to a frog in the tank somehow or willingly jumped in to eat some of the insects floating in the water (there's alot of dead insects in the tank). It has about a few inches of water in it from rain. I put a rock in the tank so the frog could rest. My question is in regards to what I can only describe as worm-like gyrating amphibians that are also in the same tank as the frog. They are about the size of a sliver. There appears to a about a few dozen of them. They have no arms or legs. They really just look like a tiny worm. At first I was hoping they were new hatched tadpoles, but if so they are taking a very long time to grow. If someone has an idea of what it might be, I'd appreciate the help; even a guess. I google image searched with dozens of search criteria and found nothing remotely resembling what's in the tank.

Also, what about the frog? I would like to care for him, but am new to keeping a frog for a pet. I got some frog food from a friend, but can't tell if he is eating it. The rain water is looking quite dirty. Should I clean it out and put fresh purified water in?

Thanks... AquaMan

I was planning on uploading some photos, but the file size limitation was too small. I converted the photos and the creature I'm describing was not visible in the photo. It was barely visible to begin with. Sorry, if I can get a working photo worth uploading I will.

DrNic
08-11-2009, 02:22 AM
You might be looking at mosquito larvae. Do a google search and see if they look the same.

mommy1
08-11-2009, 02:24 AM
i am thinking mosquito larvae also.

Kaz
08-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi, this is my first post. I apologize if I posted this in the incorrect area. I also apologize as the creature I'm trying to identify is extremely tiny. I have 2 aquariums sitting outside on my picnic table that I was going to setup eventually. 1 of the 2 tanks that was sitting outside now has a small frog in it. I was just randomly looking them over 1 day this summer and the frog appeared. I don't know if he developed from a tadpole to a frog in the tank somehow or willingly jumped in to eat some of the insects floating in the water (there's alot of dead insects in the tank). It has about a few inches of water in it from rain. I put a rock in the tank so the frog could rest. My question is in regards to what I can only describe as worm-like gyrating amphibians that are also in the same tank as the frog. They are about the size of a sliver. There appears to a about a few dozen of them. They have no arms or legs. They really just look like a tiny worm. At first I was hoping they were new hatched tadpoles, but if so they are taking a very long time to grow. If someone has an idea of what it might be, I'd appreciate the help; even a guess. I google image searched with dozens of search criteria and found nothing remotely resembling what's in the tank.

Also, what about the frog? I would like to care for him, but am new to keeping a frog for a pet. I got some frog food from a friend, but can't tell if he is eating it. The rain water is looking quite dirty. Should I clean it out and put fresh purified water in?

Thanks... AquaMan

I was planning on uploading some photos, but the file size limitation was too small. I converted the photos and the creature I'm describing was not visible in the photo. It was barely visible to begin with. Sorry, if I can get a working photo worth uploading I will.
Ahem,

How do you know the worms are amphibians?

Oscar_freak12321
08-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Hmm...research as many frog species as you can, and see if any fit the profile for the unknown species you have. I would not expect the frog to grow any bigger, since its baby stage as the tadpole has already passed. That's all I can think of, since I've never really dealt with frogs...cheers... :22:

321AquaMan123
08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Nic's response (#02) was correct. I googled it and a video on youtube and wikipedia confirmed Nic was/is correct. Thanks for all the responses from everyone. Now I must clean up the frog's home and continue to feed him. If I don't notice he's eating anything I'll just set him free. If he seems happy/healthy I will keep him threw the summer and then have to set something up for him inside before the winter comes back. Thanks again to everyone. ~cheers~ http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/images/smilies/fish/fish.gif

dillin
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
How did it go with your frog? Did he eat?