PDA

View Full Version : Coldwater setup question

kerouac
08-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I was just curious, but how exactly does one set up a coldwater tank? Is it just everything else sans the heater? Do you need a chiller?

Northernguy
08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
You need everything but the heater.
A chiller if you live in a hot climate.

megastealer
08-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Goldfish (if you are wanting to keep goldfish) don't need a chiller even if you live in a hot environment. They can withstand normal temps as well, just nothing like outside heat. An air conditioned house even in a hot environment should work fine for them.

Crispy
08-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Depends on the coldwater fish.... some like sturgeon, minnows, and pickeral hafta stay cold... other native fish (assuming you don't want goldfish) can tolerate higher temps (bluegill, bowfin, perch)... main thing is where you live (climate) and what you wanna keep.

gm72
08-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a 38 gallon cold water setup. AC 110 filter, no heater, no chiller. Fake plants, driftwood, and Tahitian Moon Sand. Fun tank. 2 Dojo loaches and some paradise fish.

kerouac
08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the responses everyone. I love dojos and was thinking maybe sometime in the (distant) future I would keep some. I will likely be living in the Seattle area at that time so it shouldn't be a problem...lol.