PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Kenyi holding?!

jweintraub
03-24-2007, 08:02 AM
I woke up this morning to find that the most aggresive fish in my tank is holding eggs! The part that really confuses me is that I was under the impression that the fish was a male! All of the pictures i've seen here on the internet show the female being blue while this fish has no sign of blue on it whatsoever. Could this be a confused fish or is the fish just in a disguise mode? When i purchased the fish about 3 months ago it had the blue coloring just like all juveniles do, but as time progressed it picked up the yellow coloration of the male. I'm so confused!:confused:

Galen
03-24-2007, 08:12 AM
"Sexing and breeding: All Lombardoi are born blue with dark striping. As they mature, males take on a very nice orange, while females retain the original blue coloring. Note that it is not unusual, under certain conditions, for these fish to take on the coloring of the opposite sex, usually as a method of avoiding aggression. As mouthbrooders, females will incubate and hatch the eggs in her buchal pouch, and then continue to hold the fry until the yolk sacs have been consumed. A typical holding period for this cichlid is under 4 weeks, and the female will not eat during this time. Females become extremely territorial when holding. Once spit, fry are left to fend for themselves. In order to raise fry the female should be separated into a holding tank, and removed once the fry have been spit. Fry can be fed powdered spirulina and cichlid foods as well as baby brine shrimp."

Original source unknown

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Congrats daddy. You'll be having bunches of babies before long.

jweintraub
03-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Galen, thanks for the help there, just out of curiosity, where can I find that article online? That's some interesting information that I was (obviously) un-aware of! And Hobbs... I'm just not sure if I'm ready to be a father... again!

Galen
03-25-2007, 08:16 AM
You should have luck googling something like "kenyi sex changing" or something to that nature.
Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Jon, how are all the kids today?

jweintraub
03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Jon, how are all the kids today?

Everybody's doing just fine! She's still holding the eggs, it's doesn't appear to be all that many from what I can see and it is her first attempt at this because I had her from the time she was about an inch and 1/2 long, still crossing my fingers!

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 06:30 AM
We feel bad if we go a day without feeding our fish and those poor things go a whole month without food. Makes you wonder how they live.

jweintraub
03-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Yup, she just finds a comfortable spot to sit while the rest of the gang is tearing up anything I put in the tank... I know I couldn't go more than 1/2 a day!

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 06:48 AM
I did read that sometimes after they've released their eggs they should be put away from the male to renew her strength as she's pretty weak after not eating for so long. Don't know as many do it tho.

jweintraub
03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I certainly don't have a place to house a fish like her! I think there's enough other's in the tank to distract the male from her for long enough for her to regain her strength. 2 Other female Kenyi to keep him busy!