PDA

View Full Version : i would like to see my L387

frank_zappa
08-10-2009, 03:31 AM
i hear that he is very beautiful, with nice orange markings. all i ever see is maybe a fin sticking out from wherever he is hiding. i have seen him on the glass at lights out, once or twice.

ive heard that a moonlight is what i need. how much can i expect to pay for one? has anyone else kept this variety? anyone with photos of one?

toddnbecka
08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
I have the same problem with my kubotai botias, beautiful fish that I never get to see. I may try adding some dither fish to the tank and see if that brings them out from undeer the driftwood. Even the L204's sharing the tank are more visible than the botias.
I have an LED spotlight set that came along with a used tank deal a while back. It has 3 lights (2 blue, 1 green) with small suction cups to mount them wherever you like, inside the tank or out. You can have it for $10 shipped priority mail if you want to try out a moonlight w/out spending too much.

Northernguy
08-10-2009, 04:33 AM
You can DIY one if you have a large canopy.
Mine are homemade so it was easy.Its basically just a blue light that shines into the tank impersonating the moon.I use Noma blue light bulbs and a pull chain light fixture.It works great and cost me $6/tank.

Crispy
08-10-2009, 05:47 AM
When the pleco gets bigger, he should come out more often... not sure of the max. size for L387, but mine have been much more active now that they've grown some (L018, L191).

frank_zappa
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
thanks, i will consider all of those options. a blue light is all i need, ay? that may be easy enough to solve at the hardware store.

the L387, i am told, only reaches about 4" in length, and mine is still probably just 2". i can see that he is getting more orange coloration coming in, but i only ever see just a little part of him. i sure hope he comes out more as he grows up. any idea how long it takes for them to reach adult size?

i bet i can get him to come out at night with a "moon" light and some fresh zucchini.

toddnbecka
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I have L333's and L204's growing out. In a little over a year they've grown about 1". L387's are Panaques like the L204's, but their diet is about the same as my Hypancistrus, as well as their adult size. There may be a little difference in the growth rate, but I wouldn't expect it to be too significant. I'd try frozen bloodworms rather than zucchini to tempt them out. I occaisonally see the L333's out for food (NLS pellets) when I feed late at night. I leave the lights on for the cichlids to eat, but they still come out for food.

frank_zappa
08-10-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks, i will try the frozen blood worms. i have freeze dried blood worms but they dont make it to the bottom because of the danios.