PDA

View Full Version : Water test kits

TracyUK
03-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I have bought a water test kit and the tests are Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, high range pH, and ammonia. Does anyone know what levels the water should be? Thanks

Chrona
03-24-2007, 01:26 AM
I have bought a water test kit and the tests are Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, high range pH, and ammonia. Does anyone know what levels the water should be? Thanks

How long has your tank been set up? Did you cycle it? I would recommend downloading the ebook and reading through it.

The normal readings for a cycled tank with fish in it, assuming weekly or biweekly water changes and a moderate stocking capacity is 20 ppm nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia (these two should always be 0 for a stocked tank). pH....it really depends on the fish. For the most part though, you won't have to worry about it as the fish from your LFS are probably adapted to the local water.

TracyUK
04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Chrona. My tank is new to me but has been established for a few years. We used part of their water and part new water. My nitrate is at 20, Nitrite is 0, ammonia 0, phosphate is 3 and pH is 7.2.

Chrona
04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
The bacteria that breaks down waste primarily lives in the filter and substrate. Were those kept wet in transit? If not, you may need to recycle.

TracyUK
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, yes, we kept this upright with the existing water in it.

Chrona
04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Perfect :)

Make sure to maintain the population by adding ammonia or fish asap though.

TracyUK
04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I've had fish in it for a couple of weeks now and they all seem fine. I test the water about twice a week now and do a 20% water change once a week. (I know it should be more but it takes me ages to do the 20% due to the size of the tank!)

Chrona
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Ah, I see. Larger diameter hose rigged up to the sink could help :)

TracyUK
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Mmmmm my tank is in the lounge which is two rooms away. I tend to use a jug and bucket which is knackering! I could hose the water out of the patio door I guess, but the water going in needs to be treated so I fill a bucket and add the treatment and check the temperature is roughly right. Is there a better way?