PDA

View Full Version : Choices Please

Padams
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I am getting a school of Zebra Danios.

The question becomes do I get a full 10 and nothing else?

OR

Do I get 6 and another 1-2 compatible?

PLEASE keep in mind its only a 10g and not upgrading in the near (possibly distant) future. I would like a lively tank as this is primarily for the kids (5 & 2). I realize there are a gazillion choices, but I am looking for the heartier species as it is a 1st tank and we have had enough issues to this point.

Thanks for you info and ideas.

KingFisher
08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
A few male guppies would be a colorful addition and will entertain the kids. You can also add some shrimp which they may enjoy watching crawl around the bottom. Just be sure the tank is finished cycling before adding any more fish.

Lab_Rat
08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Another possibility would be to add a "centerpiece" fish, such as a dwarf gourami. Make sure you research what fish you want to get before going to the fish store. Many fish get too big for a 10g even though the store employees will tell you they're fine.

Padams
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Another possibility would be to add a "centerpiece" fish, such as a dwarf gourami. Make sure you research what fish you want to get before going to the fish store. Many fish get too big for a 10g even though the store employees will tell you they're fine.

This is why I am asking for ideas and advice. I do not want a tank with OVER maintained. nor do I want one over loaded either.

Padams
08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
A few male guppies would be a colorful addition and will entertain the kids. You can also add some shrimp which they may enjoy watching crawl around the bottom. Just be sure the tank is finished cycling before adding any more fish.

Can guppies be in just 2's? I had thought they needed 4 (1m 3F)?

KingFisher
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
male guppies can be kept in any number. It is when you add females that you want the ratio to keep the males from harassing them all the time.

Padams
08-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Once you add females they need to have the higher #s to keep the boyz busy.thumbs2: :19: :hmm3grin2orange:

KingFisher
08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Exactly. Guppies are lucky. :hmm3grin2orange:

Padams
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
6 Zebras and then 2wks later 2 (max 3) m guppies is acceptable for a 10g w/ proper maintenance.

They pretty much all eat the same correct?

Jacko
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I would not put zebra danios in a 10 gallon tank, they are far to active IME for a 20" tank, a 20 gallon (24") is really the minimum for them, especially since they get more active in a larger school. I had a school of 10 in a 75 and they used every inch of the 4'.

For the guppies, either get totally females or totally males, I'd suggest males a.) they are more colorful and b.) females are often gravid when you get them.

Padams
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I would not put zebra danios in a 10 gallon tank, they are far to active IME for a 20" tank, a 20 gallon (24") is really the minimum for them, especially since they get more active in a larger school. I had a school of 10 in a 75 and they used every inch of the 4'.

For the guppies, either get totally females or totally males, I'd suggest males a.) they are more colorful and b.) females are often gravid when you get them.

What is your suggestion for fish to cycle a 10 with?

Jacko
08-08-2009, 08:08 PM
none

fishless cycle is the way to go, alot of fish don't make it through a fish cycle or if they do they end up having a shorter life span. It's really a cruel process that is to be avoided, compared to the easier (and cheaper) process of buying some ammonia or a prawn and fishless cycleing the tank.

Padams
08-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Looks like the Zebras are a sure winner with a couple Male guppies

Any other suggestions for the Feature role? As none are in the tank yet I am totally open.

NOTE: if you propose a Feature fish over $5-7 be prepared to pay for at least half of it.:jumpeveryone: If it costs more than $20 ensure it is platinum plated at least.:blonde:

mac
08-09-2009, 07:34 AM
The thing to remember is a 10g tank is not that large. So you have to take into account that not many fish will fit in to it. And that there are a lot of fish which need more length of the tank to swim in.

Now for a center piece fish that is more harder. Because the size of the tank. IMO some type of Tetra and a Male Betta would work okay.

Tetra Types would be Phantoms, Cardinals, Neons, Glow Light, Ember Tetras ect ect.

Danois are not a good choice at all. A better choice would be Tetras. The reason is the Danois need space, and a lot of it to dash around in. Also keeping Danios with the guppies is a no no. Because of the danois tendency to nippy long fined fish. As for the Guppies you would need more than 2 males because of aggression from the males.

With regards to the tank, a fish-less cycle is better. Lessons the stress on the fish, making them happy and lessons the chances of death.

mac

megastealer
08-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I think danios are pretty.. the only issue is they are fast and never hold still lol. Don't know if you're aware of their behavior, but I would look up their behavior on youtube first to make sure you like them... remember if you take good care of your fish they should live years and years rather than a few weeks.. so it is definitely a long term commitment.

iZinedane
08-09-2009, 09:32 AM
what about
6 neon tetra's and somekind of center piece fish?

Padams
08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
the Danios were chosen due this being a 1st tank and apparently they are most forgiving of human error.

How hardy are the Tetra really, I say this due to being told they were a hardy fish and mine died the 2nd day it was in the tank.

Would tetra and guppies work?

wolf_eyes
08-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Depends really on the tetras that you get. I would not recommend neon tetras as they have been so inbred that more often than not, if you sneeze near the tank they die (an exaggeration of course). Sometimes you can find healthy stock, but it is getting harder and harder now a days. I would go with either glowlights, cardinals (look like neons), black neons, or maybe even harlequin rasboras. Harlequins are very hardy little guys and have beautiful coloring. 6 Harlequins with a cool colored( blue, green, purple) male or female betta would look beautiful.

Even though I along with everyone else recommend fishless cycling, I have cycled with harlequins before and they lived through it. Please read up on a fishless cycle, it's a lot easier than cycling with fish and it garentees no deaths during cycling.If you are going to fish cycle you will have to change about 30 percent of the water everyday to every other day and start out with only 3 -4 fish for the first 4 weeks. It gets really annoying really fast and you're constantly worrying if the fish are going to get sick or not. If I could, I would have definitely done a fishless cycle when I first started out. All my roommate did was threw in fish food into the tank, monitored the levels and her tank was cycled in about 3 weeks. While using fish food isn't the greatest way, it does work.

Padams
08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
6 Harlequins with a cool colored( blue, green, purple) male or female betta would look beautiful.

Is there another name for these? I could not find them in the search by name on the left. I did find scissortail.

wolf_eyes
08-09-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=harlequin+rasbora&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

we must not have a profile for it then?

Edit: yea there isn't a profile for it on here,at least when I search for scientific and common name. It's kinda strange kinda since they're pretty common.... hmm let me do a little more looking around for you

Padams
08-09-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=harlequin+rasbora&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

we must not have a profile for it then?

they are a possibility

Padams
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
With either the Zebras or Harlequins how much "denseness" is need to have them be comfortable. I keep reading how they need hiding paces and in a 10 we all know there might be some but not an abundance. Any suggestions?

1/3
1/2
2/3

I am also presuming this is leaving the front 1/2 open for viewing.:goldfish: :fish:

wolf_eyes
08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Get either live or fake plants and line them up around the back and sides. You could possibly add some little hiding spots with rocks or maybe i piece of decor you find at a pet store. That should be enough to make them feel safe

bushwhacker
08-10-2009, 11:56 PM
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile25.html
theres a link to the harleys paul