PDA

View Full Version : Time to strip I think!

Brookfish
08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I think it's time to strip my female Frontosa, she has reached the stage the other one
spat them in the tank, here's a few bad pics of her, she is hiding out in the darkest
recess of the tank, what do you think, take a chance and strip her?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/fishinfocus/1111holdinge_717x600.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/fishinfocus/1111holdinga_800x567.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/fishinfocus/1111holding_800x590.jpg

Northernguy
08-08-2009, 02:30 PM
:woo: Can I watch? :hmm3grin2orange:

Take a vid and post it! lol

toddnbecka
08-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd at least net her and take a peek to see how they're coming along. If they're well-developed go ahead and strip.

Brookfish
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd at least net her and take a peek to see how they're coming along. If they're well-developed go ahead and strip.

That's what i'm gonna try later todd.

Ray I can't take a vid and strip her at the same time mate
but i''l grab you some pics of the fry if there are any!

Deleted User
08-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Ray I can't take a vid and strip her at the same time mate
but i''l grab you some pics of the fry if there are any!

I think what Northern guy is saying / suggesting would bring the tone of the forum down Mike :hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck and fingers crossed. :ssmile:

DrNic
08-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok, maybe I'm a little naive here but what part of the fish are you stripping? I've seen a couple posts with this topic but for the life of me I can't figure out what you guys are talking about.

:help: :help: :help:

Wild Turkey
08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Ok, maybe I'm a little naive here but what part of the fish are you stripping? I've seen a couple posts with this topic but for the life of me I can't figure out what you guys are talking about.

"them" = eggs

Even your random shots are better quality than any Ive taken mike:hmm3grin2orange: Good luck with her!

Deleted User
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Frontosa are African mouth brooders. In other words when they breed the female will hold the fertilized eggs in her mouth till they develop into fry. In the wild they would just be spat out as free swimming fry. In the hobby African cichlids are usually stripped as the fry have a good chance of being eaten. Some times eggs are stripped and placed in a bit of equipment called an egg tumbler. This is usually only needed if the eggs / fry are stripped too early. So the stripping of the fish is the taking away of the fry or eggs from the mouth of the adult fish so you can save as many of the fry as possible.:ssmile:

DrNic
08-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
08-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Yeah, net her and see how developed they are. You'll notice more "mouth-movement" when the eggs have hatched. I'm in the same boat as you right now. Gonna strip on monday when I take all the decor out of the tank for a big cleaning.

frank_zappa
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Frontosa are African mouth brooders. In other words when they breed the female will hold the fertilized eggs in her mouth till they develop into fry. In the wild they would just be spat out as free swimming fry. In the hobby African cichlids are usually stripped as the fry have a good chance of being eaten. Some times eggs are stripped and placed in a bit of equipment called an egg tumbler. This is usually only needed if the eggs / fry are stripped too early. So the stripping of the fish is the taking away of the fry or eggs from the mouth of the adult fish so you can save as many of the fry as possible.:ssmile:

i tried to give you rep points for that great explanation, but it says i need to give points out to others before i am allowed to give you more rep, ha...i learned a lot from that though, thanks

Deleted User
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
i tried to give you rep points for that great explanation, but it says i need to give points out to others before i am allowed to give you more rep, ha...i learned a lot from that though, thanks

That's ok. It's the thought that counts.

Glad I have helped both Nic & you out. :ssmile:

frank_zappa
08-10-2009, 03:15 AM
my first reaction to the thread title was, "wow, tough economy" j/k