PDA

View Full Version : dungeness crabs

lobsternoob
08-08-2009, 09:26 AM
ok, so I live in a fishing town, and have a good friend that hooks me up with live seafood all the time. Stuff that I could not keep in a tank and i usually wind up eating, I'm a seafood fiend. I've grown out lobsters before for over 2 years. I don't even keep SW tanks anymore, but i want to start a few again.

So, I'm wondering, keeping a dungeness(SP) crab, i can get a baby If I wanted, or a buncha eggs. I'm not sure its possible/probable in a tank under a few hundred gallons, anyone ever had one? they get really big. They grow upwards of 3 pounds, but it takes years. I'm just looking for opinions, I see them living for weeks/months in 100 gallon tanks being sold for food, but id love to have one as a pet, feeding is no problem, but i imagine they eat a lot, and they are deepwater crustaceans. I'm branching out into new types of tanks and I love crabs, I don't think it's realistic to keep them, just wanna hear some people's opinions.

I'm thinking it is totally unrealistic to keep them, but i did just pick up a chilled SW holding tank from a sushi bar owner that I know well, he kept crabs and lobster in it and I got it free.

lobsternoob
08-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Nevermind, according to a friend the crabs would not survive after their first or second molts since they need to move to deeper waters to develop correctly. But, if anyone can prove that wrong I'd love to hear it, since i defied the odds when raising lobsters, and i did absolutely nothing they still thrived, and grew really fast compared to the 6-8 year average for a mature lobster. Also LOL since im basically talking to myself.

Northernguy
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
It sounds like you are talking yourself out of it!lol
I think its a good decision to abort!If you cannot mimick the deeper water conditions the lobster will not develop properly.
How big is the tank you were given?

aquatic lover
08-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Fiddler crabs can almost grow as big as dungeness crabs.

smaug
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Ive never seen a fiddler any bigger then 2-3 ".I ate dungeoness just last week and he was as big as a football.

aquatic lover
08-09-2009, 12:41 AM
It depends on what type of a dungeness crab it is because a fiddler crab can almost grow up to the size of a small dungeness crab. But obviously it can't grow that big in captivity.

cubby
08-09-2009, 12:42 AM
It depends on what type of a dungeness crab it is because a fiddler crab can almost grow up to the size of a small dungeness crab.

i think he is refering to a MATURE D crab.... not a still growing one.

lobsternoob
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
NG, im not sure exactly how big the tank is, I haven't measured it but its around 150 gallons or maybe a bit more its pretty decent sized.

Aquatic Lover, are you sure? I've never heard of a fiddler crab getting to 10" point to point, that'd have one heck of a monster claw on it. Heres a link to a pic of a dungeness, and this doesn't even nearly qualify as a monster. http://www.homebythesea.com/Images/DungenessCrab.JPG

oops, guess i missed the post rush on that one lol, 3 posts while i was typing mine.

smaug
08-09-2009, 03:01 PM
It depends on what type of a dungeness crab it is because a fiddler crab can almost grow up to the size of a small dungeness crab. But obviously it can't grow that big in captivity.
In that case a rabbit can get almost as big as a bear:hmm3grin2orange:
sorry,I couldnt resist(blush)

bushwhacker
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
man that picture looks like dinner to me