PDA

View Full Version : Got shrimp!

KINGMED
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
My cherry shrimp that I got about a month ago was pregnant when I got her, she down loaded and I thought that I had lost all the babies.
GOT SHRIMP:linedance: :linedance: ---I was looking so very close this morning and saw two little ones scurring along, if there is two I'm sure there are more!!
I'm so very happy since I spent 3.99 on the female I'm hoping to have more babies hidden in the 3 globs of java moss and in some of the hidy places.
How long does it take for them to get to an age of breeding?

Wild Turkey
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Congrats!!! :19:

Yes if you see two, there are probably a lot more you are not seeingthumbs2:

Make sure you have your filter intake covered

KINGMED
08-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Congrats!!! :19:

Yes if you see two, there are probably a lot more you are not seeingthumbs2:

Make sure you have your filter intake covered
Oh yes it's been covered since about 3 days after I got my cherry shrimp and pygmy cory. I found 3-4 of the cory sucked into the intake of my filter and then got smart and took the sponge from my broken down AC70 and cut it to fit the intake of my AC110, also I keep it at the lowest setting in the tank which still produces alot of water current on top but it doesn't seem to be bothering the little shrimp. I believe I've seen 2-3 more under my rock bridge and I'm sure like you said there are plenty in the moss. If they all live which shouldn't be hard for them to do unless I suck them up when I clean out the tank, then I shouldn't have to buy very many more next time. I still would like to buy at least 2-3 more females and a couple of males.

KINGMED
08-07-2009, 02:35 AM
It looks as if there may be alot of the baby shrimp hidding in one of the bush java moss that needs to be trimmed but I think will stay how it is for the time being. I think I've found at least 6-7 just by looking around.
Will the SAE's eat them?, so far they swim by the shrimp and act like they are not even there, also I have 5 tiny baby platy's that I've taken from the momma tank and put into the 29 to save some of them, they'll hopefully be coming out of the tank in a week or so, they are way to small at present time to even pick on anything.
I can't get over that I now have shrimp, thought I'd lost all the babies.

KINGMED
08-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Is it possible for me to catch the baby cherry shrimp and mother and put them into a cycled 10 gallon tank? or should I leave them alone and take my chances with the sae's and pygmy cory?

Wild Turkey
08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Is it possible for me to catch the baby cherry shrimp and mother and put them into a cycled 10 gallon tank? or should I leave them alone and take my chances with the sae's and pygmy cory?

Nothing wrong with moving them to a cycled tank imo

KINGMED
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Babies seem to be all right, see usually 2-3 at any given time and sometimes 5-6, figure they hide in the java moss. Some of them look redder than others are they to young to be sexed at present time. Also the SAE's will stop and just look at them sometimes but I've never seen them bother them or chase them.

KINGMED
08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Removed the baby platy's, and the 2 SAE's from my pygmy cory and cherry shrimp tank, found at least 7 babies that are nice and healthy and exploring the tank constantly. How long does it take for them to be old enough to breed, also is it O.K. for them to breed with mom, brothers and sisters--you all know what I'm talking about. I'm very excited about the whole idea of having a good colony of shrimp.