PDA

View Full Version : Question about Filer

TehTANK
03-23-2007, 12:27 PM
As you all might know or not know I went and bought a classic 2217 for my 90 Gallon. Now I have a question about the water return. It comes out really well and creates a really nice current in my tank. Can I place this around the bottom of the tank where all the rocks and substrate is at to help keep waste from setteling so the filter can pick it up?

let me know what you think....

crackatinny
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Top thought and question, I was going to set mine up to pick up from the bottom and deliver to the top, but what you are saying makes much more sense in theory, deliver to the bottom and pick up what the current has stirred up (correct me if I am wrong), can't wait for feedback on this idea.

cocoa_pleco
03-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I want to do that too, but my hydor has a inch line saying the water level HAS to be within the red band. Its really pointless in my opinion, and wouldnt mind having the output in conjunction with my powerheads for my salt tank for current

jeffs99dime
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
eheim does make a surface extractor and prefilter modules that you can outfit the filter with. i was looking at doing that with mine. i'm not so sure that you would want to put the outlet at the bottom of the tank though.--jeff

crackatinny
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
eheim does make a surface extractor and prefilter modules that you can outfit the filter with. i was looking at doing that with mine. i'm not so sure that you would want to put the outlet at the bottom of the tank though.--jeff

Seemed like a good idea to me jeff, can you explain why you don't like the idea of the bottem outlet, the way I see it, it would stir up the muck for the filter to pick up.

jeffs99dime
03-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Seemed like a good idea to me jeff, can you explain why you don't like the idea of the bottem outlet, the way I see it, it would stir up the muck for the filter to pick up.

i was saying that you may not it towards the bottom because you need surface aggitation in the tank. just my thought

TehTANK
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I think I am going to put it twards the bottom just above the substrate(rocks) to stir up the large stuff that would settle on the bottom. I am going to try it out. It might mean I have to pick up longer tubing but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I will let everyone know what happens when I try it out. Anyone else here have a eheim that they have tried this with? At this point it doesn't seem like it should do any harm......

I am also running a aquaclear 110 which creates current at the top on the opposite side where the Eheim return is at. Plus I have a air wand in there which helps keep things moving as well......

Suggestions or thoughts anyone?

genitor
03-27-2007, 02:34 AM
sounds like a good idea

Severus
03-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Very interesting idea, i am eager to see how it all turns out. I might try it with mine

TehTANK
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I was going to do it this weekend and set it up but I couldn't. I am having a hard time finding the right tubing that is flexable enought to do what I want. I also need to find some suction cups that will work right to hold the tubing. I don't want it just drifting in the tank....if you catch my drift....no pun intended....okay pun intended. Anyway, I think it is 3/4" tubing but I am not sure. Does anyone else have a 2217 Classic? if so any ideas on where I can get tubing that is safe and flexable. I couldn't even find some at my LFS or even Home Depot. I was leary about going to a hardware store though because I am never really sure if it safe for the tanks. Anyway, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Tank