PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help With My Sick Fantails.

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Hiya I'm in need of help with my 2 fantails.
Before i had 4 fish in an 88litre and i just had the 2 fantaiils they were great, never any health issues they were just always what seemed to be happy!
The problem is the 2 fantails always seem down since having the new fish, they seem sorry for themselves. I recently got rid of whitespot and now one fantail has it again but very mild i only see one spot, and the other fantail appears to have a slightly ripped fin on one side and a bit of red streak on a fin, so i assume this is the fin rot.
So i need to take one of the fish out put it into quarantine and treat it, then treat the other fantail in the 88litre, my problem is i don't want to stress them as there already probably stressed.
I'm taking the orandas to the store i bought them from ither tomorrow,friday or saturday and then im just focusing on the 2 fantails.
There quite hardy fish aswell, i dont want to loose them.
I was going to try melafix but the closest pet store is over half an hour away and i can't get there because my mum has the car for work alot and plus i have the other treaments such as anti white spot and anti fungus stuff.
What do you suggest i do, i have a 15litre quaratine tank if thats any use.
Plus times short, i want to get it sorted asap.
Water stats are all fine.
thanks for reading.

Little Embers
08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I would keep the fantail where it is, as you will probably have to treat the main tank anyway. One spot is all it takes to produce thousands of he parasite. I would treat again for white spot and keep the water quality as high as possible, goldfish require more oxygen than tropical fish, so I would try to increase that by using an airstone (if you don't already have one) or by increasing the water flow. Turning the temperature up to 82-84* can also help speed up the lifecycle of the parasite....higher temps. result in less oxygen, so that is another reason to supply more oxygen.

megastealer
08-06-2009, 12:32 AM
The reason your fish got sick is because your tank is too small. This isn't exactly what caused your fish to get sick, but it is the root cause. The diseases you mention and others are present in all aquariums, but fish only become susceptible to it when they are stressed by poison or other factors.

Let me try to explain:

Goldfish produce a large amount of waste, and they are constant eaters. This means they are constantly producing large amounts of ammonia. Your tank is about 23 gallons... this is a good size for only one fancy goldfish. Each gold fish needs about 15 gallons, or 53 liters of water to live healthy.

This is because of the nitrogen cycling process. 86 litres is only big enough for 1 gold fish because multiple fish will produce ammonia faster than the bacteria can eat it up, causing the fish first to be poisoned by ammonia, and then nitrites. Tank size comes in because the ammonia will be more concentrated in a smaller area, which will poison the fish.

Everyone starts somewhere though. I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but your tank size is just not large enough to have more than one gold fish. I love gold fish too, so I would recommend investing in a larger tank if you wish to have more than one.

If you need more suggestions, let me know, I can only wish the best for you and your fish. :)

P.S. this is a lesson I learned the hard way, I lost a betta, 2 plecos, and 2 goldfish before I finally got things right :(

jas95
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm please to say the fantail i suspected to ahve white spot in fact doesnt have it as ive been told by a fish expert on a forum, its actually just a sing le spot its alot bigger than a sugar grain and eventually with good water it falls off i can't remember the name of the thing but it begins with L.
Megastealer, thanks for your advice i understand, as i say the fantails were fine until i introduced more fish!
Ill take the orandas to a pet store and keep the fantails, I'll see if i can get a bigger tank in the next couple of months.
Last night i did a 70% water change, and added the right dosage of finrot.
The fish seem alot brighter this morning :)
thanks!
Oh and im just wondering, im going to a pet store soon and it sells so many fish plants, what ones do you recommend i can get upto 3?
I was thinking amazon sword,java fern and elodea?

Northernguy
08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Not sure what plants that goldfish do not eat.There are a few though.
I would look into it before you go.

jas95
08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I dont mind them eating the live plants aslong as they have fun in doing so lol, they have a great time undigging the roots!
I think i'll go with java fern, amazon sword and elodea.

megastealer
08-06-2009, 04:55 PM
My fantails don't eat java ferns or amazon swords, so those might be good options. You can have more than 3 as long as you leave plenty of swimming room for your fish... keep in mind all that the plants eat is your fish's waste and sunlight; and their only waste is cleaner water... aside from the occasional dead or dying leaf you may have to remove.

jas95
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I only have £5 pocket money off my dad on saturday so I intend to spend it on 3 For £5 plants.
I want something that the fish can eat though, so they can enjoy it lol!
But i still would prefer to have soem plants stay in one peice.
If i can get £10 off my dad then i might get 6 live plants, but instead of getting all those plants i might get the 3 for £5 on frozen food, bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphine.
On saturday i'm going to take the orandas to the store, get 3 or 6 live plants then go home, take out the fantails, redo their tank and add the 3 or 6 live plants, along with their air pump which is hidden in a treasure chest which opens when it bubbles.
I dont want things in their like ornaments which have no use only for out lookers. :)
The fish seem bored, they kind of sit their floating as if there in another world lol!
What can i do to cheer them up?