PDA

View Full Version : Betta in a 20 gallon tank?

batmura
08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
With the exception of a few cories and pleco, would a 20-gallon tank be a bit too much for a betta?

Cheers!

Red
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I keep bettas in two of my 75gals. They would love a 20gal.

batmura
08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I keep bettas in two of my 75gals. They would love a 20gal.
You keep two bettas in 75g?

I heard that even if you put a male betta in a 20g, it won't swim much. It'll pick its own territory and just hang out in that area neglecting the rest. That's why I asked.

megastealer
08-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Hmm. That may be true, but whats the difference of not swimming "much" a 75g and swimming quite a bit in a 5g? If that is true about bettas, it probably means bettas swim about the same in either container because of their behavior but it is more noticable in a small container.

Red
08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
My betta's swim all over the place. I also have 3 females in there too. They make great community fish. I would not reccomend keeping 2 in a 75 but 1 in a 20gal is great. They will swim.

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I wouldnt keep a betta in anything smaller than a 5gal or anything bigger than a 10gal unless it was a divided or a big community tank.
I heard to much room isnt good for them.

Red
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I wouldnt keep a betta in anything smaller than a 5gal or anything bigger than a 10gal unless it was a divided or a big community tank.

Where are you getting this info from? Please link me to a source. Bettas live in big lakes during the wet season, and only for 1-2 weeks live in a little puddle.

robflanker
08-05-2009, 07:31 PM

BREAKING FISH NEWS!!!!

No, i've never heard this. Please link where you are getting this from - cos i'd be very interested in this too.

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
This is what someone commented on a thread of mine, read what fishnoob has commented, http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51252.
Personally i thought a betta would LOVE alot of room but then this guy/gal told me this and other people have also.
I guess there not excactly saying about they wont swim or naything, there just saying its big for a betta.

-Lp
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Tried in vein to come up with something to back that claim. I did however find this tid-bit of information..

"In the wild, betta fish yield from rice paddies, swamps, wetlands, and shallow ponds in South East Asia. These bodies of water, though shallow, are quite expansive; rice paddies typically span many acres so they would be fine in a large tank."

robflanker
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Shucks so my many acred-fish tank is too big? Rats... I guess they dont like their natural environment and prefer shot glasses.

Off to the liquor store to get a lovely shot glass it is then!

Red
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Shucks so my many acred-fish tank is too big? Rats... I guess they dont like their natural environment and prefer shot glasses.

Off to the liquor store to get a lovely shot glass it is then!

Come on rob, quit being funny. You need two shot glasses to properly house a betta.

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Interesting.
Well i do agree that the more room the better right?
With any fish, the more room the better.
Some people keep their bettas in bowls and its doable maybe thats why people are so shocked about having them in giant tanks if they can survive in a vase/bowl.
So yes i think the more room the better, i was just going with the idea the other person said to me about all that room for one betta.

robflanker
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
You are right, but I just dont want to spend that kind of money. Plus its only short term. I'll have a tumbler by the end of the year...

-Lp
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
You guys are too much! :hmm3grin2orange:

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I keep my better in a 5gal, hes fine in there :)
I have a coldwater tank its an 88litre, only cost me 50 :D
Even tho that is pricey but i think its a bargain!

Red
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Yes jas, 5gallons+ is ok for a betta. The bigger the better IMO. And great info legend.
And rob, come on buddy open up that wallet you penny saver.

jas95
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Tanks may be dear, but in the end its making your fish happier ;)
If you dont have the money then walk dogs for people, get a paper round, be a gardener for an old lady :)

invadertoast
08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a male crowntail in my 23 gallon community and he is ALL OVER THE PLACE! I have harlequin rasboras, green eye rasboras, neons, cories, and ghost shrimp and he gets along fine with everyone. He doesn't have one particular spot he hangs out in, unless I'm staring into the tank and he decides to have a staring contest with me.

I also have three males in three 2.5 gallon tanks and they're all very happy and healthy also. I have one plakat male that is particularly feisty that I'll most likely move to my 4.5 gallon long if I ever get it set up. I thought about moving him to the 23 because he's so active but I think he'd be too aggressive in a community setting. I chose the crowntail because he's more mellow and can't move as quickly. The other two males are less active, and one is SUPER aggressive. It all depends on the betta but I've had great success with a male in my community.

s72450
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I had one of my bettas in my 55 gallon to keep it cycled before I got my blood parrot and he really loved it. I hated to take him out, but I feared that he and the BP would fight it out.

He didn't stay in any one spot, loved to swim all over the tank.

AdrienDeLaChicago
08-23-2009, 03:18 AM
I had a betta in a 60 gallon tank before. It seemed to do alright. But they don't like a lot of movement in the water. Some filtration systems really move the water and can be unnerving for a betta.

Plus I also had a buddy tell me that I could put two males in there and that they would each establish their own separate territories. Boy was he wrong! Not a good idea to put two males in the same tank. I came home after a long day of errands to find one of them all chewed up with hardly any fins left.

It's also a good idea to create areas in the shape of caves where there is less water flow. They like their brackish calm environments. I think this would help.

BIO-Linist
08-23-2009, 04:21 AM
DIY Flow diverter/diffuser
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359