PDA

View Full Version : Do bettas notice water changes and tank cleaning?

batmura
08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Strange question as it may be, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea whether bettas notice we do a regular water change or clean their tank. Do they notice the change at all? Do they feel happier cause their tank gets cleaner?

Any ideas?

EddyC
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
My instinct is to say yes for two reasons. The first is that our physical presence in the tank during the cleaning puts them on high alert. The second is that when the water is cleaner the fish are happier and it's easier/more comfortable for them to carry out their business (no gasping for air, etc.) My bettas always seem more lively and vibrant after a water change, so I'd definitely say that yes, they can sense a difference.

jas95
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
After i do a water change and change around the setup of my tank my betta always starts creating bubblenests, he gets happier he likes change & new stuff to investigate :)

Sharon
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
A definite yes!

red eyes
08-12-2009, 02:37 AM
YES.
all fish notice changes in water parameters.
even corals do!

DrNic
08-12-2009, 02:52 AM
I think most fish are going to notice water changes. Although most people do water changes by hand, when in nature most water changes occur via natural water flow in streams, or rain water.

There are a number of studies that show that clean water makes fish more active. One of the many reasons that some of the largest fish caught on record were caught just after a rain storm.

Oscar_freak12321
08-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Yes. W/C are loved by bettas. They do notice us when we change the water though.

Girl Got Mojo
08-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Yes they notice! It would be like you walking out of a room with a lady wearing really rank perfume into the fresh air lol

Chazbot
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd say yes for sure! My Othello dances around and builds HUGE bubble nests after I clean the tank every week.

Northernguy
08-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes they notice! It would be like you walking out of a room with a lady wearing really rank perfume into the fresh air lol
lol That works for me!:hmm3grin2orange:

Watch your fish,you can see the difference in their swimming and colors!