PDA

View Full Version : fickle mates

treaxy11
08-05-2009, 05:36 AM
hello. i am trying to mate my crowntail bettas. i followed the steps, the little guys courted each other beautifully, female's belly ready to bust. however, the male has not built his nest and its been about 5 hours of this courting. is this normal? how long does it usually take the male to build the nest?

Little Embers
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I think the male usually builds the bubble nest prior to mating and then they spawn under it so the eggs float up to the nest....perhaps they are young and need a few trys. Did he build a nest at all since you have had him. I would keep an eye on the female as the male can inflict injuries during spawning...and vice versa sometimes.

Mvjnz
08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
In my experience the male usually builds a nice big nest overnight the first night, unless he already had one before the female was introduced. It could take up to a week of flirting before they actually spawn.

And the eggs don't float up, the male grabs them in his mouth and puts them in the nest, and will put back any that fall from the nest (the eggs don't float, they will sink if left unattended).