PDA

View Full Version : J moss turning brown

HomaridNoob6
08-05-2009, 04:23 AM
My java moss in one tank is growing uncontrollably, that tank is only lit from a shop light that hangs over the side of another tank. In another tank that is also very low light but a bit more, like 2 or less WPG, it turns brown near the base and shoots off a few very long stringy pieces. Is this maybe to do with the spectrum of the bulbs I'm using or whatnot. The other plants, sword clippings, and java fern clippings are doing great in both tanks, but the moss only does well in the really really low light one.

HomaridNoob6
08-05-2009, 04:54 AM
uh, sorry to double post, but basically, I'm asking, has anyone seen this before with java moss? I got distracted and forgot to edit the post hehe.

EddyC
08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
You might wanna check your bulbs. Mine were turning brown (no "stringy pieces" though), so I plugged a daylight CFL bulb into a lamp and put it next to the tank. Now I've got one on each side and my plants are TAKING OVER THE WORLD! Literally, I have to pull fistfuls of java moss out of the tank weekly and the swords, lotuses and vals are sending out multiple leaves a week and many runners. Could help in your case.

Algenco
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
sounds like inadequate lighting

balski911
08-07-2009, 05:28 AM
I just made a net with my newest tank with java moss attached under one CFL bulb and another fluorescent tube.

However I've been keeping java moss for couple of years now but attached to the gravel in my other tanks. What I noticed is that it doesn't like normal Fluorescent tubes without additional light.

Under two 20W 6500 CFL it blooms
Under normal 100W Iridescent bulb (not sure but I think iridescent is 2850K) it grows and it is green, but grows way slower.
Fluorescent tubes (T5 and T8) 4200K made my moss grow brownish.

I guess its very sensitive to color temperature. Just get one or two screw in CFL of 6500K and you won't have any problems. Keep in mind that the rule of w/per gallon may differ since energy saving bulbs are calculated differently. For example 20W CFL bulb gives amount of light equivalent to 100W from the old bulbs.