PDA

View Full Version : Looking at plecos

rubberducks
08-05-2009, 01:17 AM
what is the difference between a bushy nose and a bristle nose anyway... are they the same or really that different??

I am looking at getting a long fin bushy nosed albino pleco this weekend and was wanting to know if anyone has one (how are they do you love them??) and about how much are they supposed to run cost wise??

Sir Tristen
08-05-2009, 02:53 AM
I think bristle nose and bushy nose refer to the same type of plec. The longfin albinos are the most expensive I've seen, but I haven't seen many, so either the breeder was trying to rip people off or they are very rare and warrant the price. I think a pair was like $40. I think if you like them, go for it. Plecs are great!

toddnbecka
08-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Bushynose and bristlenose are interchangeable common names. Longfins generally cost more than regular types, but the price keeps dropping because they breed like guppies. Size is also a factor in price, along with availablilty in your area. I have a breeding trio of regular BN pleco's. I sell juvies (1"+) for a couple $$ each online. My lfs sells browns for $10 and albinos for $20. Most places charge about half that much for regular BN's.
They're generally very peaceful fish, great for keeping algae cleaned off the glass, will need some veggies like zucchni or canned green beans if there isn't enough algae (new setup) to keep them fed.

Red
08-05-2009, 05:39 AM
I have 12 BN in one of my 75s right now, and there doing fine. 6 albinos and 6 regulars. I have to feed a half of cucumber a day, and I feel like I am shorting them.