PDA

View Full Version : GotPaper1981's fish adventure (& hubby's disasters)

gotpaper1981
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok, so I think I want to start a journal on this little adventure. That way I can keep up with what doesn't work and what does. Also so others can learn from my mistakes and lessons!! I know there will be a few of them!!

First, some background info. I'm sure you are wondering about the title. We have a 30g tank that we have had for a while and is not set up. I just recently purchased a 100g tank with all the accesories and 50g trashcan full of equipment for $200. Hubby complained and didn't think it was worth the money until he picked it up and realized what an awesome deal we got on it. It was set up for saltwater so I don't really know what kind of filter it has or if I will even be able to use it. I have to lay everything out and clean it all up. Kinda cruddy. Does anyone have an idea on how to clean up the parts?
I'm also going to take a picture of everything laid out and get some input on what it all is. I figure even if I can't use the filter, I got a deal on the lights, tank and stand!!

Back to the story. I made a deal with hubby that he can set up the 30g however he wants and I will set up the 100g after a ton of research and cycling before I start stocking. Then we will see who's fish thrive. He wants to just go down to the fish store, buy what he likes and throw it in the tank. No planning. I can't convince him in any way that this is a terrible idea. Believe me I have tried. So I figure after he screws it up enough, he will allow me to help him.

This should be fun.

:19: :hmm3grin2orange: :19:

I bet I have a successful tank set up by Thanksgiving or Christmas. I will post some pics of my new treasures and list what I can and can't use, also what I need to plan on purchasing for both tanks!!! I won't be able to lay out a stocking plan for his, so I'll just list what he throws in there and how it works out for him. Hopefully I can convince him that this is not the way to go, but I'm not crossing my fingers! He will eventually learn that all my time surfing the net is not a waste. I actually learn while on here!

jackson17
08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Try to get him to read up on cycling, as I know this is a bet, you don't want the fish to die or have stress, its not right.

As for that, seems a tiny bit unfair, you can do wonders with a 100 gallon that you can't with a 30 haha. Men for men, women for women lol.

gotpaper1981
08-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Sorry if it sounds wrong, but he won't read up on anything. As I said before I am trying to convince him of the need to cycle it and plan it out. He's stubborn and insists he knows how to do everything. So I will keep on him and hopefully he will see the light.

robflanker
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
well when his fish start dying maybe he'll see the light

red eyes
08-22-2009, 05:53 AM
when he falls in love with a fish and it dies he'll learn.
i killed a GBR by being a newbie and that's all it took to never want to do it again.

Northernguy
08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Be nice and put some of your cycled media in his filter.
At least the fish won't have to learn his lesson!thumbs2:

Crispy
08-22-2009, 05:59 PM
In regards to cleaning your cruddy equipment, try a toothbrush... they seem to do an excellent job on all my stuff.