PDA

View Full Version : 30g and Angels?

gotpaper1981
08-04-2009, 01:19 AM
My husband finally agreed to let me get angelfish in the 30g tank. I'm just not sure how many and with what other types of fish to not overdo it. We are going to fishless cycle it, so don't need to drill that on me. We are waiting until we move this week before we start the 30g and the new 100g tanks. Don't want to fill them, empty them, move them, and fill them again!! Just looking for some ideas. Do they like live plants or what? Or more hardscaping? Thanks.

rich311k
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Angels like plants and driftwood. I would get just one with tetras or rasboras. Some cories for the bottom and maybe a bristle nose. Some dwarf cichlids would work as well.

rangur1
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
a single angel with a school of tetras,not neon or cardinal, works well.

pinchyboy
08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
yea one angel should be good for the 30g

King Tut
08-21-2009, 09:27 PM
One angel and a school of harlequin rasbora, with somw cory and oto. Very pretty tank.

Lady Hobbs
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I concur to one angel and possibly some rummynose tetra.

smaug
08-21-2009, 11:08 PM
A 30 is min for angels.They can and do get mans hand size.IMO,mine has outgrown his 58 gal tank.It is heavily planted and he has learned to swim upside down and on his side rather handily.1 will be more then enough for your tank.They love plants but it must be something they can swim through and will not capture them,nothing bushy.

Lab_Rat
08-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I agree the 30g is a minimum size for a lone angel. Tetras do make nice companions, just avoid "torpedo" shaped ones as these sort of fish (neons and cardinals) are the natural diet of wild angelfish. Rasboras would also make nice companions.

I would avoid nippy schooling species such as tiger barbs. If you have the proper substrate a school of cories would look nice as well.

Plants and driftwood would be nice natural decor.

mac
08-22-2009, 01:54 AM
IMO depending on the dimensions of the tank, and they type of Angel to whether it is viable.

If it is a vale Angel like mine, then I would not even try it.

As for how many just one would be more than enough. Along with say a shoal of Bleeding Heart Tetras, IMO. Followed by a BN.

With regards to the tank set up, planted, with wood.

Make sure you have some open spaces for the Angel to swim in, and not to much current.

mac

DrNic
08-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Any type of large tetra is ok to put in with angels. Rummynose are my favorite but that's just opinion.

A pair of german blue rams are also common with angelfish tanks. Although 1 angel and 2 rams will be about it for a tank that size.

Either way you should still have some bottom feeders in there. Corys, larger catfish, and bristlenose plecos are all ok with angels.

PostalPenguin
08-25-2009, 02:58 AM
A good, easy plant that angels love are the swords. Their large leaves allow the angel to swim through with ease while also giving them some comfort.