PDA

View Full Version : Reef Substrate

SankTank
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Ive read many things about how sand or crushed coral or a mixture of the 2 can have an adverse affect on pH and nitrate levels. I have also noticed people using aragonite, what would be a good substrate to use to produce near-stagnant levels?

unleashed
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Oolitic aragonite would be best

But you would need a sand bed of about 4-6 inches deep minimum to produce a stagnant environment

AABatteries
08-04-2009, 02:44 AM
I have about 1/2" of sand on top of 1 1/2" of crushed coral. I need the crushed coral for its pH buffering.

SankTank
08-04-2009, 03:30 AM
will probably use the aragonite or 25%sand/75%crushed coral because i would like some sand dwellers, would i get any of those with the aragonite?

unleashed
08-04-2009, 03:38 AM
will probably use the aragonite or 25%sand/75%crushed coral because i would like some sand dwellers, would i get any of those with the aragonite?

I would stay away from CC. It is not really that good.

The organisms which you want in your sand bed are copepods and worms basically.

Because many of the organisms are small, they struggle to move through the CC and in turn, it doesn't get stirred.

Oolitic aragonite on the other hand is very very fine and is very easy for the copepods etc to move through.

You will also find that you will have greater colonies of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria with oolitic aragonite than with CC due to the greater surface area of the granules

jman
08-04-2009, 03:40 AM
good job at realizing a good ratio of aragonite you dont want too much if you have sand dwellers...you get the point just enough for buff and a simple trick is to add some more to the bottom of the filter i always end up getting a lot of copepods out of it and they have offspring that eventually fall in the tank i guess which is good

just dont use too much crushed coral if u use it at all

SankTank
08-04-2009, 03:48 AM
I would stay away from CC. It is not really that good.

The organisms which you want in your sand bed are copepods and worms basically.

Because many of the organisms are small, they struggle to move through the CC and in turn, it doesn't get stirred.

Oolitic aragonite on the other hand is very very fine and is very easy for the copepods etc to move through.

You will also find that you will have greater colonies of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria with oolitic aragonite than with CC due to the greater surface area of the granules

thanks, im sure this oolitic aragonite is more expensive than the sand/cc mix, but it sounds like its worth it. i havent had a chance to go to a lfs in my area yet. Do they usally sell that type of aragonite at stores? I live in tampa, Im sure we have some good places here.

jman
08-04-2009, 03:51 AM
normally sold at most lfs stores if not order it if thats what ya want

SankTank
08-04-2009, 03:51 AM
I think im getting conflicting answers here, one says the oolitic aragonite is easy for copepods to sift through and the other says that i do not want too much aragonite...

good job at realizing a good ratio of aragonite you dont want too much if you have sand dwellers...you get the point just enough for buff and a simple trick is to add some more to the bottom of the filter i always end up getting a lot of copepods out of it and they have offspring that eventually fall in the tank i guess which is good

just dont use too much crushed coral if u use it at all

are you saying a ratio between sand and aragonite?

jman
08-04-2009, 03:52 AM
i meant too much crushed coral oops sorry aragonite is success for copepods

SankTank
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
i have 40lb bag of Aragonite here at my house from CaribSea that a buddy gave to me. Here are the elements:
Calcium 381,000 ppm
Carbonate Buffer 590,000 ppm
Strontium 7,390 ppm
Magnesium 1,050 ppm
Molybdenum 56 ppm
Potassium 56 ppm

Oolitic aragonite would be best

But you would need a sand bed of about 4-6 inches deep minimum to produce a stagnant environment

Is there a difference between this and oolitic aragonite? Also, what size sand bed would you recommend for a 4ft long reef dominated tank?

SankTank
08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Here is a good answer I found... Still not positive whether this is different from what I have.

What is Aragonite Sand? Aragonite mineral sand is formed as tropical waters warm and heat drives out dissolved carbon dioxide gas. With depleted CO2 levels, the oceanís buffering system tries to maintain the equilibrium by breaking down bicarbonate ions thus producing more CO2 and carbonate ions. The carbonate ions combine with calcium in solution to form calcium carbonate which crystallizes into tiny spherical or ellipsoidal particles called oolites (egg stones) about the size of a pin head. These fall to the bottom and make thick deposits of beautiful organic sand.

SankTank
08-15-2009, 11:38 PM
im thinkin a 4" sandbed in a refugium with aragonite, live rock, and chaeto w/ a 15w 14000k bulb. 2" sandbed in the display tank with aragonite w/ a high wattage t5 setup. my bud gave me an idea of turning my 55gal tank into a sump/refugium(would 55g's be too large for that?) and starting either a 90gal or 120gal. my dad just built a house so im gonna have him help me build a stand/canopy. havent picked out a 120g but it would be 72" which would leave plenty of room for the sump. theres some DIY stand videos on youtube, any advise on makin one? ill make sure to leave some room for storage and lights, need anything else in it? still doing research cause my finances arent ready to start my project.