PDA

View Full Version : Air Gulping?

Poseidon
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I have had a leopard sailfin pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps) for about a year, in my 70 gallon tank, and I have recently noticed that it is gulping for air at the water's surface. I have checked the pH, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and there are no problems with the water quality and, not to mention, my pleco is in excellent health. Could anyone explain why plecos gulp for air? Is this normal pleco behavior? Thanks, Poseidon

Lady Hobbs
08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
If all else seems fine, how about oxygen levels? It may help to add a bubbler if you have none now.

Northernguy
08-03-2009, 03:36 PM
When was your last water change?
That will also put some oxygen in the water.

-Lp
08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I would also suggest oxygen deprivation.

Oscar_freak12321
08-03-2009, 09:05 PM
By gulping air, what do you mean? At the surface, upside down and gasping, or just occasionally, going up to the surface and taking a bubble of air?

Poseidon
08-04-2009, 03:13 AM
It will occasionally go up to the surface, float upside down, and appear to be trying to breath. Then, it will either return to the bottom or sides of the tank. It appears to be healthy and its tank mates do too so I am hoping it is no big deal. I have heard that this behavior is normal, but just wanted to know if other people have seen their plecos do this.

Oscar_freak12321
08-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure what it is then...mine sometimes rushes to the surface, hits the water and then swims back down over maybe a course of 2 seconds at most.

mommy1
08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
it is normal for plecos to go the surface and gulp air occasionally. as long as your water quality is good i wouldnt worry about it. i had a common pleco for a while and he used to go up and gulp every once in a while.

jman
08-04-2009, 04:09 AM
as long as you know you keep up on the water changes it's all good the water qualities fine adding a bubbler was recommended which would help and they do occasionally go to the top in strikes for air like they are a human out of breath!!!

it's 9 times out of 10 fine