PDA

View Full Version : Soap Residue

joey087
08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey, I am just starting up a 20 Gallon Freshwater tank and put 3 swordtails in. I plan to get an angelfish or two in a week or so. I realized I filled up the tank with an old bucket that was used for cleaning prior to me using it for the fish. I rinsed it out before I used it, so I dont think any detergent or cleaner got in the water and it didnt foam or anything when i filled it. The fish look OK but its only their second day. Do you think the tank will be fine if I use a new bucket from now on?

Jaster
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Well if you aren't getting suds or anything and you did rinse it before hand I would guess if there was any kind of soap in the bucket it's pretty diluted. No suds is a good sign. Even still though, when in doubt do a water change.

robflanker
08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Agreed with Jaster.

And in terms of stocking, you absolutely cannot have angels in a 20g. The smallest you can have one Angel is a 30g

joey087
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Agreed with Jaster.

And in terms of stocking, you absolutely cannot have angels in a 20g. The smallest you can have one Angel is a 30g

You don't think angels will do well? Well I thought the general rule is one inch of full grown fish for every gallon. I didnt think angelfish would get bigger than 5 or 6 inches.

robflanker
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
The one inch per gallon rule is a really really bad estimator. It's not used that often - its the sort of thing a fish store tells you so you just buy fish.

Angels will absolutely not do well in a 20g unfortunately. You'd have to have a 30g.
What else are you planning on putting in there? Tell us what fish you like, and we'll put together a good package for you, but angels won't be apart of it - sorry

The stocking tends to be more based on nature of the fish and their bioload. It also has to do with swimming room and other things.

joey087
08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Ok thanks. Well I like swordtails. I saw these fish called rainbow sharks that were cool, but I have no idea how big they will get. I also liked the sand dollar fish. But i really don't know if those would work.What are some other fish that would work in the tank?

robflanker
08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately none of the ones you've listed really work.

You should look at tetras, rasboras, rams, corys, gouramis, guppies, platies off the top of my head