PDA

View Full Version : How long before mine die?

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
The plants I got last week are lookin pretty good. However, I still only have the 15 watt hood light. :( Sure hate to spend $100 for a light bar for this 30 gallon tank!

Anyway, I have two bubbles going into the tank with co2. Is this too much for a low light tank you think? Should I remove one?

What is saving me I think is due to the fact this tank sits by a window. It's gets direct daytime light but the sunlight is blocked out.

sergo
03-22-2007, 01:48 PM
i have a low light tank too and some of my plants grow slow and some grow fairly well. my tank, like yours, faces a window on the east side of the house. i have yet to have any plants die but they could use use some more lighting especially my mico swords but i think my gouramis will pull them all up before they can die. i'm going to have to put the swords in their own little mini tank so the can grow without interruption.

with low light and slow plant growth i wouldn't think you would need excessive ammounts of co2 and minerals but i'm no aquatic plant expert though.

cocoa_pleco
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I have plants in my 10g with a crappy incandescent light and they are doing well.

sergo
03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
i guess it will mostly depend on what plants you have. my javas are not growing much but they do have lots of little "sprouts" growing off of them but my anacharis and apogeneton grow really well.

Chrona
03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Plants will benefit from CO2 injection at all light levels. Plus it inhibits some forms of algae. What types of plants do you have Hobbs?

hungryhound
03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
The plants I got last week are lookin pretty good. However, I still only have the 15 watt hood light. :( Sure hate to spend $100 for a light bar for this 30 gallon tank!

Anyway, I have two bubbles going into the tank with co2. Is this too much for a low light tank you think? Should I remove one?

What is saving me I think is due to the fact this tank sits by a window. It's gets direct daytime light but the sunlight is blocked out.

Did you happen to check out the alge side of the link you posted earlier.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

According to it most of your algae problems will be a result of the tank not having enough carbon dioxide. The only algae problem in which it recommended to lower or turn off your carbon dioxide fertilization was with blue green algae. The only reason I think that was recommended was because for treatment of it, you were required to oxygenate the water which would cause you to waste your CO2.

To me it looks like as long as your CO2 is at a safe level for your fish, then you are fine. It looks to be better to have to much then to have to little.

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Good. Thanks. I was afraid of too much co2 without much sunlight. I've had 0 algae after that first day of co2 before adding the fish.

Two co2 bubbles going all day drop the ph to 6.8. I leave them hooked up and just turn the air bubbles on at night so it doesn't drop below that.

Chrona
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Make sure you add a teaspoon of baking soda if you have really soft water!

Abbeys_Mom
03-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Make sure you add a teaspoon of baking soda if you have really soft water!
What would that do to the fish !?!

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2007, 09:21 PM
baking soda just increases the pH but I have hard water so it's not needed for me.

Chrona
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
It increases the kH, not neccesarily the pH unless you had really soft, unbuffered water to start with.