PDA

View Full Version : scum

jennypenny0379
08-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi,

I just did a PWC in our Betta's tank (2.5 gallon eclipse) this afternoon. Tonight when we feed him I noticed a whiteish scum on the surface. There is a clear area where the water flows out from the pump. What is this? The fish is new but the tank is cycled (I think, tank was gifted to us by a friend, filter media remained wet and tank was only empty for a short while. We changed out the substrate for sand and added a few fake plants and a terra cotta pot cave. We had the lfs do a water test before we bought the betta, store uses a liquid test NOT strips. Water looked great.)

Rainbow the betta seems fine, I just want to make sure. He is my daughters, she saved her money and waited until she found just the right guy. I would hate for anything to happen to him!

Jenny

Oscar_freak12321
08-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Sounds like an oil buildup. Stir up the surface, and this should be gone.

Sarkazmo
08-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Or as I was just recently told, draw a paper towel across the surface. Also, if it's not protein on the surface it could be from the sand not being washed enough before putting it in. I seem to remember a chalky looking surface scum from using sand.

Sark

jennypenny0379
08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I'll try both of those. It is very possible I didn't get the sand rinsed well enough.

Jenny