PDA

View Full Version : Arowana diet...

Crispy
08-01-2009, 07:29 PM
wednesday - hikari carnivore sticks (lunch), 12 superworms (dinner)
thursday - large grasshopper (lunch), 8 super worms, freeze dried red shrimp (dinner)
friday - 5 small grasshoppers (lunch), 5 finger-sized yellow perch fillets (dinner)
saturday - 4 finger-sized yellow perch fillets (lunch).........

....tonight's dinner will be more yellow perch fillets (I've ran out of superworms for now)... what an eater!!

I've had him 5 weeks now and he's grown over 3 inches in this time.. WOW!!

HomaridNoob6
08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Sounds like the Arowana is eating well, man that is some really fast growth. have you posted any pics?

rich311k
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Always a good sign when a fish likes to eat. Sounds like he is doing well in your care.

Oscar_freak12321
08-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Sounds like an awesome growth rate! :19:

Crispy
08-02-2009, 05:33 AM
He's even surprising me.... lobsternoob> I have posted many pics in the photo forum of him.

He goes nuts for everything, but especially superworms and perch fillets.

Demjor19
08-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Thats awesome! The growth will eventually slow down to about 1" per month...this should last until about 18-21 inches! My arowana grew from 2" to 20" in just under two years. She now eats 12-14 raw shrimp 2-3 times a week with pellets mixed in. They have a massive appetite! Glad to hear yours is doing well!

Crispy
08-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Lately I've been feeding rainbow trout fillets (finger size), and the arowana goes wild for them! Even the frontosas and clown loaches go nuts for it!

demjor> you're absolutely right, his appetite amazes me!!

Demjor19
08-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Lately I've been feeding rainbow trout fillets (finger size), and the arowana goes wild for them! Even the frontosas and clown loaches go nuts for it!

demjor> you're absolutely right, his appetite amazes me!!

I'll have to try wild fish fillets! Never even thought of it! Their appetite gets even crazier as they grow! You just wonder where they put it all...especially with their narrow body shape.

Just a side note: Does your Aro have drop eye yet? Mine has it in her right eye. At this point I'm 100% convinced that it comes from hitting there heads when spooked. I have actually witnessed my Aros DE get more severe after a hard jump...it will usually then lessen after a few days of being calm. Just curious how yours is doing.

iZinedane
08-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow that arrowana has quite an appetite
keep us updated!

Crispy
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Just a side note: Does your Aro have drop eye yet? Mine has it in her right eye. At this point I'm 100% convinced that it comes from hitting there heads when spooked. I have actually witnessed my Aros DE get more severe after a hard jump...it will usually then lessen after a few days of being calm. Just curious how yours is doing.

My aro doesn't show any signs of DE yet... he's jumped a few times, but no major head damage. Everything I've read concerning DE seems to suggest head trauma and/or a fatty diet. More aros with head trauma get DE IMO over a fatty diet, but those seem to be the leading causes. The top of my canopy is 12" from the top of the tank, so he does have some jumping room. I do have 2 braces though running front to back that always worry me... and I also pray that he does not shatter my lights one day.

...So far, so good though... what an amazing fish!

Demjor19
08-10-2009, 04:55 AM
I have been unable to link DE to diet at all, but I have heard that from a few sources. All I know is my arow never had it until she went through s skittish phase and did alot of jumping. Her swelling above the eye will go down after a while and not look as bad...until she spooks and jumps again, then it will swell back up. I feel about 99% confident that this is the primary cause.

Your Aros diet sounds great and you seem to be doing a great job raising it! They truly are an awesome fish and can be quite a handful at times. keep us updated!

Crispy
08-10-2009, 05:42 AM
I have been unable to link DE to diet at all, but I have heard that from a few sources. All I know is my arow never had it until she went through s skittish phase and did alot of jumping. Her swelling above the eye will go down after a while and not look as bad...until she spooks and jumps again, then it will swell back up. I feel about 99% confident that this is the primary cause.

The link between DE and aro's diet was made after some aro autopsies. They found a chunk of fat behind/ontop of the eye. I think this led to the premature assumption that there was too much fatty foods in the aros diet. I am with ya and I also believe it is due to head trauma. It it said that aros in ponds don't get DE. Makes sense since there is nothing to whack their heads on.

BTW, today was grasshoppers and yellow perch... yummmm...:fish:

Demjor19
08-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I have even heard that some Aros have had there DE corrected after being placed in a pond (the feeding regimen was never changed).

Are you going to fry me up some yellow perch too? :hmm3grin2orange:

fishbum
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
How long do you plan on keeping it in your 130?

Crispy
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
How long do you plan on keeping it in your 130?

I definitely plan on upgrading within a year probably. Looking at 250+ tanks lately.