PDA

View Full Version : Water change pump

crackatinny
03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Just an idea here,
When I set up my 120gal, I want everything as simple as possible in the maintainance area, I was thinking of putting a T piece in the outlet hose of my canister filter with a hose and tap on it, this way, when I need to do a water change, I just put the hose in a drum and turn on the tap, what do you guys think?

Cichlid_Man
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I think it is a great idea, except I wouldn't try to push too much water through there at one time.
I like slower water changes.
Not sure what impact it would have on the fish if you were to empty out and refill a tank in a very short time period.

The idea is awesome.

crackatinny
03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Just seemed so simple an idea, I thought there would have to be problems (nothing ever seems simple LOL), the speed is not really an issue, as it could be regulated by the tap.

My original idea was a continuose water changer using a drum at each end of tank with a low capacity pond pump on each, one pumpimg out water and one pumping it in, as a safety measure using a level cutout switch similar to that used on a boat auto bilge, it could then just run continuosly pumping old water out and new in, water changes would be a thing of the past, but I don't think you would get the proper ratio of fresh water going in.

kimmers318
03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Not only that, how would you dechlorinate and part of weekly water changes is gravel vaccuuming the crud out! It does sound like you are heading towards a good idea, just need to tweak a few things.

Drumachine09
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Thats totally do-able. You could put in a ball valve at the "T" so you can lock it off securly so no water gets out.