PDA

View Full Version : Help, Cloudy Water

RogerTheDodger
03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi Can anyone help.
I have a 78 gallon aquarium I inherited when I moved house in Nov 05. Kept 4 goldfish in it with a Fluval internal filter.
Changed to a Fluval 405 external filter about 2 weeks ago and then introduced some Barbs, gouramis and Mollies on Sunday 3 days ago (having removed the goldfish)
Since introducing the fish the water has turned cloudy (white fine hazy cloud). The fish seem fine and feed readily and are very active. But cant seem to clear the cloud. I have cleaned the filter out and done a 20% water change but to no avail.
Any suggestions
Roger The Dodger

William
04-01-2006, 08:44 AM
How did you celan the filter?

Did you use hot water?

What kind of filter media do you use?

The filter might not have become established yet and is therefore not working 100% yet. But the answers to the questions above might reveal other reasons for your problem.

RogerTheDodger
04-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I cleaned the filter in cold tap water, and have recently found out that it should be cleaned in old aquarium water. The filter media is what was supplied, eg foam mechanical filters , carbon and bio max.
I took some of the water to the local aquatics and had it tested and OH DEAR, very high nitrite and ammonia. We came to the conclusion that the filter isn't cycling yet and that the high nitrite and ammonia are causing the cloudy water.
Any other comments would be warmly received
Roger

William
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Well. that was what i expected and meant when i said the filter wasn't established yet.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't use hot water or anything that will keep your filter from ever cycling. (you be suprised how common that misstake is)

I don't have any other comments at the moment. There could be other better mixes of filer materials but I suggest just to wait and let the filter cycle and se if it does it's job once cycled before spending money that might not need to spent.

RogerTheDodger
04-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Again
the cloudy water problem has resolved and the ammonia and nitrite are dropping nicely now, thankfully all my fish are still alive.
You said about a better combination of products in the filter. Can you advise what you consider to be the best combination. I have a Fluval 405 which has four containers and the sponge rack
Roger
8-)

DemonShark
04-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I have a penguin BIO-Wheel filter and its nice to listen to and cleans my fish tank nicely you might wana look them up