PDA

View Full Version : Snail on my new plant

iceywind
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Got a new plant today. I put it in a clear container to check it for snails. Sure enough, I spot this little snail on it. But now that I found him, I don't know what to do with him.

First, what kind of snail is it? Will it eat my plants and reproduce like crazy? I see this kind in the pet store tanks all the time. Or is it not as much as a pest. I haven't put the plant in yet.

I have just a beta and a mystery snail in my tank now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/iceywind/snail2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/iceywind/snail.jpg

rich311k
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Reproduce yes, eat plants probably not. They look like pond snails to me.

Wild Turkey
07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes its a PS. When it begins reproducing you will see clutches of eggs a little smaller than a dime, they look like little dots encased in gel.

They only eat dead or dying plant matter ime, spare algae. How fast it will breed depends on how much food is available.

iceywind
07-31-2009, 10:48 PM
thanks for the replies. I'll have to think about what to do with it then.

DrNic
08-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah that's a pond snail. They tend to stay away from live plants and stick mostly to dead plants and old food. If you have other inverts in the tank they may out compete them for food so be careful.

iceywind
08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
I looked them up and from what I've read, they seem to be more of a pest. I moved the plant to another container to see if any smaller snails came out. In the cup were some small ones and I saw some more on the plant. How can I get rid of all the possible tiny snails on this plant before I put it in my tank? Would a little salt or bleach work?

Wild Turkey
08-01-2009, 01:56 AM
Dont put bleach in the tank.

Salt may be ineffective against ps, but you can try it.

The truth of the matter is, if its a planted tank you will probably get them eventually and they can be quite beneficial if kept under control. The way to keep them from getting out of hand is to be careful not to overfeed, and if the population still grows to quickly for your liking, scrape away any algae and trim dead leave from plants to further limit their food source.

IME, mystery snails have no problem out competing pond snails by a mile as far as food goes, this can also help keep them in check since you will be feeding the mystery snail.

The mystery snail will eventually learn to recognize the smell/vibration of a wafer hitting the water, and head right for it. Where as ps can take all day to find a piece of food in the tank

iceywind
08-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Neither the plant or the pond snails are in the tank yet. I put the new plant in a clear cup to check for snails first. I wouldn't put bleach in my tank lol.

Wild Turkey
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Neither the plant or the pond snails are in the tank yet. I put the new plant in a clear cup to check for snails first. I wouldn't put bleach in my tank lol.

Im glad! But you know if we dont say it; someone will do it one day:hmm3grin2orange:

The bleach dip is less for getting the live snails and more for getting the eggs, most people use either a pretty diluted bleach solution, or just dip them for a few seconds into a little stronger solution. Floating them in a Q tank helps without using any chemicals also.