PDA

View Full Version : Bear pics not bare pics!

Northernguy
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I had to do a dump run this morning so I brought my camera!
There was about a dozen bears there when I arrived. There were also quite a few Vultures.Cool but ugly big birds!
I managed to get close to some of the bears but mama bear was there too and said stay back.I stayed back! lol

Northernguy
07-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Here are the vultures.

Crispy
07-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Awesome wildlife NG! That's why I love Canada so much... gotta get up north one of these days soon. Sweet pics!! :fish:

rich311k
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
That is very cool. Great shots.

Northernguy
07-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks! It is a great place to live! lol
Winters suck though! hehe

I almost had a pic of a lynx but I couldn't get out of my truck fast enough!

Wild Turkey
07-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Been waiting for these! Great shots!! Those are some beautiful black bears! thumbs2:
Awesome creatures

fraggle
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice pics NG!

The worst thing we'd have at the tip would be foxes and feral cats or inland a bit more some dingoes. Amazing having something that big not that far away from you! (far enough to be say though I gather NG:hmm3grin2orange: )

Thanks WT I was going to ask if they were black bears, I thought they were (not good on my bears, LOL) and you jsut confirmed it!

Northernguy
08-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Actually the Mama bear and cub were only 12ft from me!I was no threat and I think she realized it.I hope! lol
I wouls rather see them salmon fishing in the rapids.I'm going to try and get some pics of that in the next few months.

They are very cool to see Turk.They can sure be destructive when they want to be though.Everytime I see someone building something to keep them out I kind of chuckle. I have seen these guys flip over big garbage bins to get whats inside.

Wild Turkey
08-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Heck yea they are really something. If they decide they want you there isnt much you can do, they run 35 mph and can catch whitetail deer. Any tree they cant climb they can knock over. :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Its really about who has the most attitude! If I can stand up to it without crapping myself,it will turn and walk away.As long as its not being pushed away from its meal its usually ok.They are very smart animals and can reason a wee bit.The stupid ones mostly endup getting shot by a home owner or the police.The police here carry a gun full of noise makers.It sounds just like a gunshot but there is a loud whistle type noise and another bang at the end.
You here them all the time.All night long and early in the morning.
And they didn't think there were Grizzlies here!:hmm3grin2orange:

The odd bear does end up getting shot dead if its a problem.They can rip siding off a house and make a hole big enough to walk right in.

Wild Turkey
08-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Yea I know what you mean, most of the stuff i hear about them is incredibly similar to dogs, like dont run or show weakness, make yourself look big and make loud noises etc etc

Just dont mess with mommas babies!:hmm3grin2orange:

What you were saying about some loose items in a can sounds like a great idea

Northernguy
08-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Its tried and tested! Over and over and over ,but like all things they get used to it.As long as they are surprised and cannot see you with it,they run.
Piss it off by doing it too many times and highly advise you to get in the house and watch from a window!:hmm3grin2orange: It happened once and I learned! lol
They are bloody dangerous tricks to play on a big animal.

Northernguy
08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Here is something they are scared of.It makes them move about 40ft out of the way until he shuts it down again.The only thing that keeps the bears away from there is the afternoon sun.Well usually, It has only been too hot a few days this year so far!

smaug
08-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Nothing like a peaceful photo shoot at the local dump,,,,,,,you muct have felt alot like Marty Stouffer:hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
08-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Nothing like a peaceful photo shoot at the local dump,,,,,,,you muct have felt alot like Marty Stouffer:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey! I always bring my camera to the dump!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
smaug I would rather see them in the bush eating berries but it doesn't happen very often.Not too many people hang around after dropping their baskets,their to busy running away! lol You also only see on at a time.
You can see up to 20 if you get there early enough.The best way is to go on foot!lol

Crispy
08-02-2009, 02:16 PM
......I guess it IS the place to be for bear watching... I'm sure they're so immersed in their garbage that they probably don't even bat an eye at you eh NG?

Northernguy
08-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I was only ten - twelve ft from them until the dozer started up.
I know a guy that goes there on his quad to get pics.He opens up a bunch of cans of tuna and places them around his bike. He sits on it and takes pics.This guy does have a death wish! Probably breathed in too many fumes down in the mines.He has never been injured by them.Mind you I have not seen him in over a year!lol

frank_zappa
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I was only ten - twelve ft from them until the dozer started up.
I know a guy that goes there on his quad to get pics.He opens up a bunch of cans of tuna and places them around his bike. He sits on it and takes pics.This guy does have a death wish! Probably breathed in too many fumes down in the mines.He has never been injured by them.Mind you I have not seen him in over a year!lol

wait til that bear decides it wants some food from a camper. they say a fed bear is a dead bear. it makes them get very bold. maybe he has never been injured but i wonder what happens to the bears he feeds.

i dont think i could ever get that close

-Lp
08-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Great shots NG. The black bears we have in MD are very elusive. I've been to the western part of the state, where the population is greatest, dozens of times and have only seen a bear twice. One was a very close encounter.

It was early morning along the AT (Appalachian Trail), we just finished up breakfast and the pooch needed a walk. We meandered down a small trail directly off the AT, got about 200 yards out and heard rustling in the tall grass/weeds that paralleled the trail. Mind you the trail was approximately 2-3' wide, just enough to walk on. The noise was such, that our initial thought was it's someone bushwhacking through to the main trail. If only..the next thing we knew there was a full grown black bear in the middle of the trail staring us down. The dog went bezerk, barking, pulling on the leash, ect. wanting to attack this thing he'd never seen before. The massive omnivore stood it's ground about 20' away from us, well within killing distance had he chose that route. Frozen by fear and initial shock, I stood there, eyes wide, and mouth open I'm sure, for what seemed like ever (15 seconds or so). Fight or flight was about to take over when out the the bush came two small cubs. They crossed the path into the tall grass on the other side, then mama followed. She was just looking out for their safety, man I wish bears could talk!

Got back to camp, changed my pants and began the day. Surprisingly I didn't even need a cup of coffee, I was very awake.:hmm3grin2orange:

frank_zappa
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
i forgot to mention that those photos are great

Northernguy
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL great story LP!Its best not to run.lol You cannot outrun a bear,but your dog probably can!:hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks FZ! Any bear that tries to get into a home or trailor is considered a problem bear and is usually destroyed!Its a sad situation really.

frank_zappa
08-02-2009, 05:33 PM
yeah bears can get to be a nuisance like that, especially when they start seeing people as the source of easy meals. i dont have them in my part of the state, at least it is very rare, rarely a young male wonders this way in the spring and either gets darted and relocated or sadly, hit by a car.

i did a camping/fishing trip in central alaska a few years back and there were grizzly bears around, though we never saw them. i am really jealous of all the wildlife that you have. it must be a great place to live, northern ontario. there isnt enough wildlife where i live. i want to move farther north, maybe to maine. im sure i would love canada as well

Lady Hobbs
08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Unlike the picture of the giant raccoon running thru your yard, this actually turned out to be a real bear! LOL

troy
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Those bears are bound to attack someone sooner or later. You're asking for a death wish coming within 12 feet of a mother and her cubs.:ssuprised:

frank_zappa
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
i agree, somebody will get at least charged and probably hurt or killed, eventually. i know i wouldnt get near a bear and cubs....although those ones look particularly fat and happy.

Northernguy
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes bears are dangerous!lol Don't make like you want to pet them.
These bears are not tame by any means but they are content.Nobody has ever been hurt by a bear at the dump or anywhere else around here as far as I know.There have definately been no reports.
Property damage yes but no personal injury.

Brookfish
08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Awesome pics mate, amazing wild life to see on your door step!

Northernguy
08-06-2009, 02:32 AM
That depends on wether or not they want in the door!lol
I do thoroughly enjoy watching wildlife! Especially in my yard.:18:
I almost got a pic of a moose yersterday but by the time I stopped he was gone. They run through bush I have to climb through!:hmm3grin2orange: