PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Cories

Kaz
07-31-2009, 06:13 AM
After playing a round of cards with my family my father looked at me and said "(Name delted to protect the guilty), I noticed eggs in your tank, Do you have any Idea what they could be?"

"I... uh... well..."

I dashed up to the tank, I knew there were only Cories and 2 platy fry that were 2/3 to being mature so this had to be the cories, right?

But no, I thought to myself, I saw a snail in there a month ago! That jerk!

But through some comical research conducted only through the chat I found out that they were indeed Cory eggs.

But the best part was that the small little oval shaped white things that had not been there before were infact Cory fry with the yolk sack still attached.

My tank, as it turns out, had the perfect current on the spot where the majority of the eggs were layed. Sadly, this probably means that the eggs that are still eggs likely wont hatch.

But I still have like two dozen Cory fry.

I'm not sure what to do in regards to feeding and all that jazz but research will be done as often as I consume liquids.

I will snap photos at every opertunity.

One last thing, I will be going camping next monday and coming back on next friday so this will be a challenge.

I do, however, have a person that will come to my house everyday and today I picked up a weekly pill planner so they will feed the exact right amount of food into the tank.

BTW this was copied over from the blog I accidently started when I meant to start a journal.

I'm an idiot.

Wild Turkey
07-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Hold on let me dig up an article for you: brb!

BTW im really surprised they werent eaten, you got lucky

edit: here it is http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32879&highlight=breeding+corys courtesy of Gemini

Kaz
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Hold on let me dig up an article for you: brb!

BTW im really surprised they werent eaten, you got lucky

edit: here it is http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32879&highlight=breeding+corys courtesy of Gemini

I lucked out really.

There are only 6 Cories and 2 platy fry.

Rough estimates put the number of fry somwhere between 'A lot' and 'infestation'.

I also found out that apparently you can just let the young fry graze on the micro organizisms around the larger variety of plants in my tank.

If I didn't know better I would think they were snails or something.

rich311k
07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Congrats Kaz. Good luck with them.

Kaz
08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Not that it really matters, but it turns out that they weren't cory fry.

Wild Turkey
08-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Not that it really matters, but it turns out that they weren't cory fry.

what did they turn out to be?

Kaz
08-09-2009, 08:35 PM
what did they turn out to be?

I have no clue.

What looks like a single celled organism or a cracked open egg stuck to the glass?

Wild Turkey
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I have no clue.

What looks like a single celled organism or a cracked open egg stuck to the glass?

Sounds like copepods, cut back on feeding a bit

Kaz
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Sounds like copepods, cut back on feeding a bit

Okay, will do.