07-31-2009, 12:49 AM
i was wondering what i a good tank size for 3 small chichlids would be? ty

dancethenparty
07-31-2009, 01:35 AM
i was wondering what i a good tank size for 3 small chichlids would be? ty
what kind of cichlid?

Crispy
07-31-2009, 02:38 AM
Gotta know which types or see some pics... there are too many cichlids (some small, most large). 10 gallons sounds hardly enough for 3 of any cichlids...

pinchyboy
07-31-2009, 04:43 AM
they are afican chiclids...they r your basic pet store chichlids that the sell at patsmart petco ect.

MonkeyPox
07-31-2009, 04:43 AM
You still need to be more specific. There are dozens of species of Africans.
Are these in the 10g tank you mentioned in your other thread?

pinchyboy
07-31-2009, 05:10 AM
i will describe them.. one is all yellow with a black tip on his top fin....one is all orange.....and the other is all blue with a few black vertical lines ..and yes i have them in a 10 gallon at the moment....thinking about a 20g long

dancethenparty
07-31-2009, 05:15 AM
i will describe them.. one is all yellow with a black tip on his top fin....one is all orange.....and the other is all blue with a few black vertical lines ..and yes i have them in a 10 gallon at the moment....thinking about a 20g long
a 20 gallon is still too small for the fish you have. think like 55+ gallon.

pinchyboy
07-31-2009, 05:18 AM
a 55+!! i dont think ill have room for that i might need to sell them then.Ive had them in a tank for almost a year and they seem fine i just dont know why you would need such a big tank i understand they get bigger but still

dancethenparty
07-31-2009, 05:22 AM
a 55+!! i dont think ill have room for that i might need to sell them then.Ive had them in a tank for almost a year and they seem fine i just dont know why you would need such a big tank i understand they get bigger but still
"seem fine" is a very broad term. for example, my fish seem fine in their 20 gallon tank but i know i'm overstocked. and that is not fine. and yes they seem all happy but i know that actually their probably stressed out.

also you have to think about the bioload as well.
if i were you i and couldn't get that big of a tank then i would return them, and get the biggest tank you can possibly get and then research and see what fish you can house in that tank.
what is the biggest tank you can get? and what other fish do you like?
you know in a 20 you could house a few cichlids like the german blue ram, and a few others..i forget the names. but they're pretty colorul fish. jsut like the ones you have currently.

pinchyboy
07-31-2009, 05:33 AM
the biggest tank that i can get is a 20 long
if i would to get rid of the cichlids i would probably get some tetras or other simple fish and thanks for your advice

kaybee
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Full aggression potential is typically attained at about the 3yr mark for most mbuna's. It sounds like you have a yellow lab, red zebra and kenyi (though there are a variety of other species which could match your general description of them).

The larger tank volume is due more to their aggression. It would be easy for either the red zebra or kenyi to kill the other two in a 10gal. It may not seem apparent now since they have yet to gain full maturity. These fish become territorial fish and a 55gal (or 48"+ long tank) provides enough room for territories to be carved out or fish to flee from aggressors.

Even in a larger tank these type of fish need to be kept in groups (8+ regardless of tank size and a 55gal is the minimum to house a group of 8).