PDA

View Full Version : i am going to breed my apistogramma's

jman
03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
...i have to females and one male, hopefully when i get rid of the green terror(he's perfect) they will mate in the castle. everything else that i know of is straight- have any advice?

jweintraub
03-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Feed them live food about once a week, brine shrimp or white/red worms.

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
jman! I've been wondering who I could ask about these cichlids. I didn't think anyone had them here. How do you like these guys? I've been thinking of starting a tank with them so would love your information on them. Are they colorful and pretty as their pictures are on the net?

jweintraub
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
The pictures from last weeks competition (that you and I tied on, Hobbs) were pictures of my apisto's... If you go to www.apistogramma.com there's TONS of good info! And the "triple red" that i've got are BEAUTIFUL!

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
You mean the picture that I voted to win. LOL I love these little fish. Thanks so much for the info Jon. You're awesome as always.

Are those the little purple looking fish in the first pic? Those are the ones I went nuts over.

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
http://dwarfcichlid.com/apistogramma.html

jman, another good site about these fish but not much information regarding breeding other than soft water.

Drumachine09
03-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Those are some neat looking fish!

jman
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
sorry Hobbs school is catching up with me...
anyway i had to lay down breeding the first pair and switched to a new kind of dwarfs. I only have 1 male and female but they seem to be very close to there first batch. The reason i stopped on the first pair of apistoo's was because my kribs were a little to tough for them and the space wasn't good enough for them so now it's in another tank. The new dwarfs are a blue like and look 10 times better than the ones you can find on the internet i will find you the exact name for it but anyway iv'e been focused more on the tank quality. I swear after $260 that is going to be a nice 30 gallon. i planted lots more plants and added several more caves with cory's-a loach (soon getting a butterfly loach again) bolivian ram 2-german rams the shrimps got eaten (only 2) so sad it happened today Siamese Algae eaters-3 and a otocinclus along with some nice community fish that i know nothing about. the fish apistogramma's to me personally no matter what type look even beter than ones you see on the internet when taken care of . You should try them i know they would love your HOME!

jman
07-12-2007, 08:35 PM
ooops what kind of apistogrammas do ya like

dev
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
jman! I've been wondering who I could ask about these cichlids. I didn't think anyone had them here.

I keep a little apistogramma, and there is a girl on my Norwegian forum that specializes on them (as in has a room full of apisto tanks). I'll be happy to forward any questions I can't answer myself.

Right now I have

Apistogramma agassizii
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma macmasteri

Some basic information from the top of my head;

They are territorial. A male has a superterritory that includes smaller territories of one or more females. A male that have access to more than one female will give you less trouble. The females must be able to find a place where they cannot see eachother. Territory dividers may be vertical(!) aswell as horizontal.

Most of the species will want small holes to lay their eggs in (half a coconut shell with a very small hole works well), and they will look after the eggs and their young (a night light, or some twilight should be provided to make this easier for them).

They need soft and acidic water, and prefers a planted environment with sand as substrate. If you use gravel you must make sure that it does not have sharp edges. Some leaves from an oak tree on the substrate will give them extra hiding places and make them feel more secure.

Common mating triggers include lowering the water level, overfeeding (their favourite food is red bloodworms) and doing a cold water change (all to simulate rain season).

Good friends for them in a breeding tank could be some small tetras (neon, glowlight, kardinal etc) as their presence seems to calm them, or other small fish like Otocinclus. They also go well with the two Mikrogeophagus species (ram and bolivian ram), who will get their defensive instincts going without being a real threat. They will not be able to protect their eggs from corydoras, so these should be avoided.

Hope you found at least some usefull information in that mess :D

jweintraub: tripple red? is that a selective breed of cacatuoides?

jman: what species are you keeping?

edit> Of course, I didn't notice that the original post was from March :p

jman
07-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Apistogramma_nijssen is close to the color but the name of this is i believe a little different

dev
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Apistogramma_nijssen is close to the color but the name of this is i believe a little different

A. nijsseni are lovely, allthough they do come in slightly different colour variations, so it's very hard to judge on colour alone :/
I'd very much like to see some pictures of yours some time :)

jman
07-13-2007, 02:50 AM
A. nijsseni are lovely, allthough they do come in slightly different colour variations, so it's very hard to judge on colour alone :/
I'd very much like to see some pictures of yours some time :)

i still haven't got a camera the money has been going into the tanks around but i figure when it is really established the pictures will be well worth taking

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Good posts guys and lots of good information. I do think these little fish are the bomb. I loved those in Jweintraubs POTM. I read up on these for quite a while on the internet and see they can get very colorful and a lot of color varities.

Stay in touch jman so we can see how your little guys are doing. And borrow a camera!

Nice seeing you here again. We've missed you.