PDA

View Full Version : Endler's gave birth

Willyleigh
03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
This morning Iwoke up and noticed two endlers babies swimming round,I had expected more, by the time I left the house they had both been eaten by my fighting fish, what should I do, remove him or leave them and hope some survive.

minabird
03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
If there are enough hiding spots for the fry, some should survive with the other fish still in there. If not, you probably need to remove/separate all the fry to another tank so none of the adult endlers and your fighting fish don't eat them all.

Abbeys_Mom
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
The adult Endler's won't eat all the babies if you feed them small meals a few times a day. I would remove larger fish like the betta.

Willyleigh
03-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I now have the two fattest ones in a breeding net but I don't know if they arethe ones spawning or the one who has always been spawning.

Also I don;t know if they would have finished spawning yet, I can see 2 very small fry amongst my Vallisneria plant, should I keep the livebearers in the trap or release them and put the Betta in there to stop him eating any more?

Abbeys_Mom
03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
If you just have the Endler's and the Betta, I think it would be ok to put the betta in the trap for a while, or get him his own tank :)

Willyleigh
03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
How long can I keep the livebearers in the net breeder without totally stressing them.

I have decided to seperate the pregnant fish as I want to be able to see the babies and to make sure that they are eating once they have been born.

Abbeys_Mom
03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I think 24 hours in fine. Any more then that and I'd worry about stressing them.

Willyleigh
03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Update: I came home to find two babies in the bottom of the net breeder, one looks healthy the other doesn't look like he's going to make it.

Is there any way of telling which one had the babies, they all look fat still and i don;t want to realease one that then gives birth so its babies can be eaten.