PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish growing

Wild Turkey
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Any suggestions for growing out a comet as fast and large as possible?

Background:

Its for my newest project :D

I want to grow a comet to a foot or more, and use it as an example for people who argue the goldfish's requirements/max size. Hes also kind of my new mascot, being my only fish. :hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
07-28-2009, 06:06 PM
No one? Come on I know there are some goldfish experts out there! :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe I should post pics :14:

Oh its a Sarasa Comet if that matters

Northernguy
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
The biggest tank you can with a really good variety of foods.Lots iof clean water.
What else is involved besides time?

Wild Turkey
07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
The biggest tank you can with a really good variety of foods.Lots iof clean water.
What else is involved besides time?

That was my assumption also

Im wondering what exactly would be different between an ideal tropical fish diet and an ideal goldfish diet, among other things. Im sure there are some small differences but I may end up going to a goldfish forum

He is in his own 40gal

Crispy
07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
put some duckweed in the tank... it's a great part of their diet!

Kaz
07-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't know anything but the idea sounds cool.

EDIT: Your only fish? Don't you have a million tanks that are hooked up to a seperate grid consisting of your aquariums and the nuclear generater used to power them?

Wild Turkey
07-28-2009, 08:43 PM
put some duckweed in the tank... it's a great part of their diet!

Thanks! will do

Shouldnt have any trouble finding someone with too much of that stuff:hmm3grin2orange:

EDIT: Your only fish? Don't you have a million tanks that are hooked up to a seperate grid consisting of your aquariums and the nuclear generater used to power them?

I gave my catfish and tetras away to a breeder I know to make room for more inverts a month or so ago, so I have more than half a dozen tanks up but no fish:hmm3grin2orange:

This tank was going to be crays, but I decided to wait on them so i have a half planted empty 40breeder just sitting. Should be a great tank for the little guy, hes about 3-4 inches right now

cubby
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM
when i grow out koi for my pond, i use pellets and some small feeder guppies. :) they DO eat teh guppies. at least, all of mine have.....

i have started with about 4" and had almost 8" in about 4 months before... not sure if was anything i did, or just nature!!! hahahaha.... i'm the only one i know with koi!!! hahahaa...

now i DID here about a guy in Goshen, not far from me, who started his own Koi shop in his garage!!!! need to get over there and check it out.......

:hmm3grin2orange:

Fishguy2727
07-29-2009, 02:37 AM
I feed New Life Spectrum exclusively and my fish grow at astounding rates. In addition to diet, water quality will absolutely dictate size and growth rate. Massive water changes (80% or more at a time multiple times per week) will ensure it will grow as fast and as large as possible. Another thing to consider is genetics. Each fish will process protein and other nutrients a little or better or worse than others. So ideally you get a bunch of them and start them growing, figure out which one is going to grow the fastest, use that one, and get rid of the others.

Wild Turkey
07-29-2009, 02:53 AM
I feed New Life Spectrum exclusively and my fish grow at astounding rates. In addition to diet, water quality will absolutely dictate size and growth rate. Massive water changes (80% or more at a time multiple times per week) will ensure it will grow as fast and as large as possible. Another thing to consider is genetics. Each fish will process protein and other nutrients a little or better or worse than others. So ideally you get a bunch of them and start them growing, figure out which one is going to grow the fastest, use that one, and get rid of the others.

Thanks FG, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this thread

I selected him from a newer batch at the lfs, he was the largest and most active.

Is the 40breeder enough or do you think he would grow even larger in a larger tank? Or not much difference at this point?

Fishguy2727
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Bigger is always better, but a very aggressive water change schedule will help you compensate for the smaller tank. They have done experiments that have shown that it is actually the water quality, not the tank size, that stunts the fish.

Wild Turkey
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Bigger is always better, but a very aggressive water change schedule will help you compensate for the smaller tank. They have done experiments that have shown that it is actually the water quality, not the tank size, that stunts the fish.

Cool I will build up to large bi weekly changes on his tank. Thanks for the help FG

labnjab
07-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I feed our goldfish NLS goldfish pellets twice a day and they grow like weeds. I probably go through a small container in a month or so .We just upgraded them to a 75 gallon in February and I'm already debating on whether or not to upgrade them to a 120 gallon