PDA

View Full Version : Planted tanks with silver dollars

crackatinny
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
We are about to start setting up a 120gal at the weekend, it will be a natural theme, using natural gravel and shale, driftwood, and rocks.

My problem comes with the plants, I want to go with live plants, but all I have tried in my tank with silver dollars (these will be transferred to new tank) only last a few days and get eaten, I really want to avoid plastic or silk plants, is there any plants that are reasonably easy to keep, that have maybe a bad taste to put the dollars off eating them?

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I just posted this in another thread but will repeat here. I just potted some onion plants and put them in the silver dollar tank. There was a bit of nibbling going on but after a few minutes, they left them alone. "However", I also had romaine lettuce for them to eat so whether the lettuce was more of interest to them or they didn't like the onion remains to be seen.

I've read to use fast growers like Hornwort or Vals but if your dollars are like mine, no plant could grow fast enough. These guys are like a mowing machine.

I will leave the onions in for a few days and let you know how they work.

Abbeys_Mom
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
What about really tough plants like anubias nana or Crinum calamistratum (which most people say fish can't eat).

genitor
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I love silver dollars but they are like weed wackers.

xoolooxunny
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
my kleiner bar sword is beautiful, and the leaves are pretty tough when i go to clip it, maybe you can look into that.

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Thought I'd get back with you. Onions have not been touched all day. You could try a few plants in pots first to see if they will bother them but afraid that most of them will get eaten right away.

crackatinny
03-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Tried to get the onion plants today, no luck around here as yet, I did get an anubias and dropped it pot and all into the tank with the dollars, if it is still OK by Saturday I will tie it to a piece of driftwood for new tank.

I did bite the bullet and bought a few plastic plants as backups though.

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I wonder if any of these plants are poisonous to fish? Dogs and cats can get poisoned from some house plants.

crackatinny
03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I wonder if any of these plants are poisonous to fish? Dogs and cats can get poisoned from some house plants.

I have often thought the same thing, but they seem to be tried and proven OK.

crackatinny
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
The anubias has been in the tank 24hrs, though a slight nibble so far so good.

Incredulous_Ed
03-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Java fern? I don't think fish ike to eat those.