PDA

View Full Version : Fish-in cycle or leave in horrible bowl? Urgent!

staj
07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a fantail in a bowl that I had only intended for him to be in for a very short period of time...it turned out that I was unable to pick up my 55 gal for longer than I thought so he's been there (with daily water changes) for about 2 1/2 weeks! The stress of living in a tiny, probably kind of poison-y bowl (he's about 2-3 inches) is really starting to show. I've finally gotten the aquarium "going", so to speak, and I don't know if cycling it with the little guy in there is a bigger risk or if he may be in more pain or die in the bowl before the process is even complete. All I've got to kickstart the cycle is a couple of old sponges in one of my filters...but they're so old I can't even be sure anything's alive in there unless it was some kind of spore-forming bacteria. Can someone with more experience please help?

mommy1
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
i think he would be better off in the 55 gallon. the bowl isnt cycled either. can you return him.

rich311k
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I would put him in the tank. With regular water changes it will be much easier to maintain a healthy enviroment than it would be in a bowl.

staj
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
i think he would be better off in the 55 gallon. the bowl isnt cycled either. can you return him.

...good point about the bowl. and I guess I could return him, but I'd like to avoid having to do that as I've gotten pretty attached. That's kind of why i was wondering if it was a completely irresponsible thing to cycle the tank with him inside of it. I have the spare time in the next few weeks to really monitor the situation, so I was hoping that if I stay vigilant I can make this as easy for him as possible (if possible?)

megastealer
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
As long as the goldfish is the only fish and the tank and you do regular water changes, he should be fine. Just don't add pure ammonia as if you were doing the fishless cycle, and maybe get some bacteria boosters such as Stress Zyme.

Z Fish Man
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I think he would be much better in the tank as there is a ton more water in there to dilute out the pollutants and a filter. I think he should be fine in the tank if you keep up with water changes and the sponge media should cycle your tank pretty fast.

Shotgun
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I think he would be better in the tank, even though its not cycled he'll be having less of an ammonia bath.

HorrorShowRot
07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I think he would be better in the tank, even though its not cycled he'll be having less of an ammonia bath.

Lol amonia bath. XD Just keep an eye on the paramaters and watch the fish for any signs of amonia burns or stress.

staj
07-28-2009, 01:46 AM
soooo...how do you see ammonia burns on a calico fish, anyway?

megastealer
07-28-2009, 03:26 AM
soooo...how do you see ammonia burns on a calico fish, anyway?

Ammonia burns are hard to see... you rarely see the burns.. the black is actually the healing process.

Truth is you should know if your fish is being burned by ammonia by how long he has been in a bowl without a water change. If you have been changing the water every day, chances are that he is not being burned.

However, there is a chance that he is if you have been overfeeding him. Also, the water changes of the bowl will also stress him out and make him more likely to catch disease and shorten his lifespan... so the tank really is a good bet. If you put lots of live plants in there you shouldn't even have a slight problem.