PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!! Losing my 13" Black Piranha

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 03:11 AM
I did a water change today and forgot the water conditioner at first. noticed she was acting funny and added it as soon as I remembered. This has happened before and she did fine after I added the conditioner. This time, she seemed alright and then suddenly turned over and stopped swimming. I have to hold her upright or she goes belly up. I did another waterchange, called to make sure the water company did not change anything on their end of things and I don't know if there is anything else I can try. She is breathing and she moves her eyes. She can move her fins but will not swim or stay upright....anyone have any suggestion at all???

Red
07-27-2009, 03:53 AM
Oh shucks Jordan, I have no clue how to help you. Your doing everything I would do. Just stick with it and GL, hope everything goes well.

Northernguy
07-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Try adding a bubbler to the tank.
Real sorry to hear about your fish!
How long have you had it?

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 04:04 AM
She's gone guys....thanks....never lost a fish before that teared me up. You could hear a pin drop in this house right now.

Northernguy
07-27-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear it.
I know what that fish meant to you!

Can a fish have a stroke?

Red
07-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Im sorry for your loss, i am shooken up over here :(

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 04:12 AM
I just think I made an amature error with a fish that was probably too old to pull through it. I'm just having a few beers for her while I drain the tank...the worst part.

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 04:52 AM
This sucks so bad...even though there is no fish in the tank...I still feel the need to double check before I reach in. It almost makes me not want to keep fish anymore. :scry:

emilyekk
07-27-2009, 04:54 AM
This sucks so bad...even though there is no fish in the tank...I still feel the need to double check before I reach in. It almost makes me not want to keep fish anymore. :scry:

Don't give up! You are obviously a very caring fish owner.

I am so so sorry for your loss. =(

Oscar_freak12321
07-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Sorry for your loss...

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Don't give up! You are obviously a very caring fish owner.

I am so so sorry for your loss. =(

Thanks for the kind words. This was a huge loss on so many levels. you just dont realize how delicate these fish can be and that their entire world is in our hands. This will have me second guessing myself for some time to come.

Crispy
07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Sorry about your loss.... don't beat yourself up too badly over it though... it happens...

Lady Hobbs
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry and you always have such nice fish and take such good care of them. We all make mistakes and you have beat yourself up enough over this one. Nothing to do but to move on and get another fish and give him a good home.

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm so sorry and you always have such nice fish and take such good care of them. We all make mistakes and you have beat yourself up enough over this one. Nothing to do but to move on and get another fish and give him a good home.

Thanks Hobbs...it just really stinks! It should have been so easily prevented. For now I pulled the plugs on that tank and drained it. Trying to make sure I don't jump into anything too soon.

Northernguy
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
It may not have been your fault!
The fish was getting old.It may have gone through hell before you got it!
It may have had its life shortened from toxins or whatever.Not your fault!
We all know that you are a responsible fish keeper and would not subject your pets to any harm on purpose.
Death is just the lousy part of life that we all have to deal with eventually.Its best to accept it and move on!
Enjoy your beers and have one for me.Its been a real long time since I have had a swig of bubbly pop!Start planning for a refill of that tank!thumbs2:

candice&jeff
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
It may not have been your fault!
The fish was getting old.It may have gone through hell before you got it!
It may have had its life shortened from toxins or whatever.Not your fault!
We all know that you are a responsible fish keeper and would not subject your pets to any harm on purpose.
Death is just the lousy part of life that we all have to deal with eventually.Its best to accept it and move on!
Enjoy your beers and have one for me.Its been a real long time since I have had a swig of bubbly pop!Start planning for a refill of that tank!thumbs2:

Sorry to hear but I completly agree with NorthernGuy. I'm sure if you get another fish in there you'll fall in love all over again. :-)

Demjor19
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks! I know this fish has been through a ton before I got her (it took me over a year to get her all fixed up). I just have never lost one of my "favorites" before, so I'm trying to cope. Thanks again for the support.

For the time being that tank will remain empty. I have more than enough going on with my other tanks to keep me busy. It may end up housing a Boa...we'll see.

Northernguy
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
That would be different!
Creepy!:hmm3grin2orange:but different! lol

lg0815
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
sorry to hear about your fish

how big is the tank that it was in

rzrnails
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I really am. Although she wasn't one of my favorites, I lost my female convict the other week and it was MY FAULT. I KNEW it was going to happen. Anyway, chin up. And don't rush into anything if you're not ready. Your pirahna was 13"???

bluebluecow
09-16-2009, 05:30 AM
sorry for your loss

Liz

Northernguy
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I really am. Although she wasn't one of my favorites, I lost my female convict the other week and it was MY FAULT. I KNEW it was going to happen. Anyway, chin up. And don't rush into anything if you're not ready. Your pirahna was 13"???
I am sure that Demjor has not jumped into anything.He is a very responsible fish keeper.
I think he lost his to possibly old age.
Sorrty about your convict.

Demjor19
09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I am sure that Demjor has not jumped into anything.He is a very responsible fish keeper.
I think he lost his to possibly old age.
Sorrty about your convict.

Thanks guys/girls. It still bums me out to think about losing her, but it has been quite a while now. I have since divided the tank and am housing a young male/female pair of Ball Pythons in her old tank (my fiance and I decided not to refill her tank after losing her)...it was one fish we can never replace.

The Curious
10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Death is a part of life...its sad, but I am glad to hear you have a new set-up...you should post a pic of the snakes.

Again...So sorry man

Demjor19
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Death is a part of life...its sad, but I am glad to hear you have a new set-up...you should post a pic of the snakes.

Again...So sorry man

Thanks.

There are pics of the snakes all over the forum...check the reptile section. I'll get some updated pics here eventually.

iZinedane
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Sorry for the loss. :scry: