PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of stocking

labnjab
07-24-2009, 11:32 PM
If all goes good we will be getting a complete 29 gallon set-up next week. Our plans are to make it an anemone grow out tank once it is running for several months. It will have at least 30 lbs of live rock and live sand, a skimmer and we have plans to eventually add a small sump. We may also add a fish or 2 and maybe a few SPS because it will have halides for lighting, but for the most part its going to be lightly stocked.

The question we have are for the fish. We really want a coral beauty or flame angel, but were unsure if it will be good in a 29 gallon. I know it is hit or miss on being reef safe, but since there won't be much for coral, we're willing to take the chance.

The other fish we had in mind were a purple firefish. I know the tank size is great, but will they do well with the angel. These will be it for stocking other then the cuc, BTA's and the few coral. Let me know what you think and thank you for any help:ssmile:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-25-2009, 01:08 AM
No, a 30 gal tank is not appropriate for a Flame Angel and IMO not for a Coral Beauty either. The only Angel's I'd put in a tank that small are a Fisher's Angel or an African Flameback.

labnjab
07-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Thank you, I kinda had the feeling it would be too small. We will re-think stocking. Is there anything just as colorful that would do good in a 29 gallon? There's so many fish its hard to decide. We've got clowns and a hawkfish in our current reef so we kinda want to do something different in this tank

Miltonic
07-25-2009, 02:20 AM
you could try a basslets like a Swiss guard basslet or like a purple Dottyback they are small fish but very brightly colored.

labnjab
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
you could try a basslets like a Swiss guard basslet or like a purple Dottyback they are small fish but very brightly colored.

I'll have to look into those and see if anyone carries them, thank you for the suggestion

labnjab
09-04-2009, 04:20 AM
We've added the 1st 2 fish, a firefish goby and a YW goby, but now were looking for suggestions on the final fish. We'd like something that stands out and isn't skittish like the other 2 fish and that gets a hair larger, but not one thats too agressive, although it is going to be the last fish so a little agression is ok. We haven't had any luck finding any basslets