PDA

View Full Version : Silver dollar

lava
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I would like to try out these guys in my community tank. I read that they are vegetarians? so will they eat every type of a plant or only some? Hope that the plants I have are the ones they dont eat LOL. I got java moss, java fern and anuibas nana. Thanks!

jackson17
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't know what type of plants they eat but how big is your tank? They are schooling fish and get decent size, around 6 inches

Algenco
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
they'll eat everything except java fern and anubis

Lady Hobbs
07-24-2009, 10:21 PM
They don't eat crypts, java moss or ferns but I'd be worried about anubis only because I haven't put that one thru the test.

Danh_vu
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I am too curious on which plants they eat.
I would like to put more plants into my tank but I have silver dollars.

Is there some kind of huge list of plants that are compadible?

I love the silver dollars but I love a heavily planted tank too.

DrNic
07-25-2009, 04:03 AM
My mom has some silver dollars. They destroyed her plants, now she uses plastic plants.

Make sure you have a big tank. Silver dollars can get really big.

lava
07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
They don't eat crypts, java moss or ferns but I'd be worried about anubis only because I haven't put that one thru the test.
Wanna test it for me?! LOL xD I have a 55 gallon. Also will they eat shrimp? I dont want a big school of them. just the least amount that I could get away with. like 4?!

MCHRKiller
07-26-2009, 01:05 AM
If you have Red Hook SDs they can grow to well over 9", my 2 are right about 8" now. Regular SDs do normally stick to around 6". I have a trial run in my own 100G with plants. Its been going for 2 days with live plants and I have moss, fern, anubias and hornwort in there and so far none of them have been touched by the SDs. It does help if you feed them a diet already rich in vegetable matter...fruits veggies and spirilina pellets are a must to curb their appetite from your aquarium plants. There is a list of herbavore resistant plants on www.aquariumplants.com which may be worth taking a look at....quite a few species are mentioned. But it also comes down to the individual fish and what theyre willing to eat.