PDA

View Full Version : Shipping of live plants?

Lady Hobbs
03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
It occured to me today that plants are live and why are they sent out via mail delivery that could take several days to arrive? A tiny plant in an envelope crammed into the mailmans pouch hardly sounds like the way things should come.

I checked on the site I had planned to order from: http://www.azgardens.com/fish_snails.php

We ship most plant orders every Thursday night
for next day delivery on Friday via FedEx.

And yes, they do treat plants as a live addition to your tank as well as fish and shipping is one day. I think it's worth the postage!

hungryhound
03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Hobbs,

I am pretty close to agreeing whole heartedly with you, but I am trying to hold a little bit of hope that my shipment from your Favorite e-bay store will come through in the near future unscathed.

I think the big difference I have with thinking of plants as a “living” addition to my tank is that I don’t really feel remorse when a plant dies as compared to a fish or another animal.

They are technically a living addition to the tank, but they can reproduce asexually and they don’t have brains. If shipping them by the Postal service causes me to lose one or two every now again, but saves me money, my conscious does not bother me. On the other hand I could not see getting a fish or invertebrate with a brain and sending it anything other than overnight. The fish might get scared and spooked the plant might be “sensing” on a rudimentary level that “man this is a long dark cycle.”

So I agree that they are a living addition to your tank, just not evolutionarily advanced enough for me to care if one dies in transport. Now if you have to ship overnight to have success ordering plants online than it is worth it, but I doubt that I am going to worry about the well being of a plant or two if they do not make it. I guess i am just a cold hearted bastard.

xoolooxunny
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
It occured to me today that plants are live and why are they sent out via mail delivery that could take several days to arrive? A tiny plant in an envelope crammed into the mailmans pouch hardly sounds like the way things should come.

I checked on the site I had planned to order from: http://www.azgardens.com/fish_snails.php

We ship most plant orders every Thursday night
for next day delivery on Friday via FedEx.

And yes, they do treat plants as a live addition to your tank as well as fish and shipping is one day. I think it's worth the postage!

hobbs, i used this website for most of my plants, clams and a couple accessories. let me tell you that overnight shipping from arizona to PA cost me as much as my order (almost) 54USD for stuff, 45USD for shipping

Lady Hobbs
03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
For plants or fish it cost that much? Yikes

hungryhound......yes you are a cold-hearted B****. LOLOLOL The only reason I'm upset about the crummy plants I got is because I paid for them and I want what I paid for. The old story that you get what you pay for is correct!

hungryhound
03-20-2007, 11:58 PM
For plants or fish it cost that much? Yikes

hungryhound......yes you are a cold-hearted B****. LOLOLOL The only reason I'm upset about the crummy plants I got is because I paid for them and I want what I paid for. The old story that you get what you pay for is correct!

I agree I would be pissed as hell. My shipment has not arrived and I may soon be joining you with the only way to ship is by overnight, but until then I am going to have hope that getting free shipping is feasable.

54USD for stuff, 45USD for shipping

This is why I am such a cold hearted bastard. I looked into shipping my plants from that store overnight and it would have cost me 39 dollars for a 26 dollar order. It just isn't worth it.

I would rather pay the 40 dollars in gas it costs me to go to chicago and pick them up, then pay that much in shipping. Atleast if I drove to chicagop I would get the satisfaction of going to wrigley field or getting out of all of these corn fields in Iowa for a couple of hours.

on a related note.

I came home from work today and was all excited because there was a big box sitting on my front porch. Could it possbly be my plants that I ordered on the tenth. Nope, it was a box of german chocolats that I ordered on saturday. Funny thing is that this box came from texas as well. I still cannot figure out how I got chocolat in a couple of days but it has been 7 days since my plants were supposdly shipped and nothing has shown up.

xoolooxunny
03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
well guys, its almost that time of year where it will be safe to ship 2nd day, a little cheaper than overnight but most of the time not guaranteed, so take advantage of the good weather.,

Chrona
03-21-2007, 01:01 AM
I got my marselia in the mail two days ago, and it was below freezing outside. It sat outside for probably 8 hours because I went skiing and had expected it the day before. As long as you wrap the plant in a wet newspaper and double bag it, with a bubble wrap in between the two bags, it will be well insulated. Make sure to use a box too, not an envelope.

EDIT: Shipping took 4 days (Priority mail, but USPS decided to be an idiot and not ship when it was supposed to)