PDA

View Full Version : Gold Nugget Pleco

LadyHatred
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Ive decided that I'd love to have a pleco again and these ones look neato and would compliment the look of my 60g.

Is there any sort of uncommon knowledge I'd need to know about them before I add one?

Red
07-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I would make sure you have some driftwood in the tank, and be prepared to feed veggies once a week.

LadyHatred
07-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks!

I have lots of driftwood in there. Veggies are no biggie either as I feed the other tanks veg (zuc, cucumber, melon, apple, pea and banana) several times a week

Northernguy
07-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I would let your tank get well established first.At least two to three months before adding a pleco.Build up some algae.

Crispy
07-24-2009, 03:04 AM
I totally agree with the above. Have plenty of driftwood, feed veggies, and have a well established tank. There is a film that grows on tank decor (awfuchs I believe is the name) in established tanks that the plecos feed off of. New tanks will be void of this and algae. I've seen many plecos starve in new tanks (even with veggies) because of this. . Mine is growing fast so far.......

Fishguy2727
07-24-2009, 03:08 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/goldennugget.php

KingFisher
07-24-2009, 05:09 AM
The others have given good advice already. The only thing I would like to add is that gold nugget plecos are from area of higher flow and have higher oxygen requirements. Be sure there is plenty of flow and good surface agitation in your tank. These are great plecos and I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

LadyHatred
07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Fantastic guys! :)

I can do current with a power head. Will that be good enough or will I need to get said current deeper into the tank?

I am indeed waiting quite some time before I get one, just thought I'd start getting educated on them. The last common pleco I had grew too big for my 25g and although he was healthy, I don't think he was happy in my miss-matched stocked tank.

I do have some algae growing in there...I've been taking it off every few days. But thats not why I want a pleco. They do eat it but, it's -my- job to keep algae at bay.

Cheers!
Aurora :1luvu:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned (except in Fishguy's article) that is very important, is that Gold Nuggets have a preference for a more carnivorous diet. While they are omnivores and they do need their veggies, veggies alone will not cut it, they are going to need things like bloodworms, tubifex worms, etc. Without the meat in their diet they will not thrive.

LadyHatred
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Do they make like....meat wafers? lol sounds nasty... Can't think of any other name. I can give him blood worms ect but the other fish will snatch it up before he gets a chance, correct? Could I use shrimp pellets, right at lights out? Or, could I feed him real meat?

Fishguy2727
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Mine ate New Life Spectrum and did very well. They do not need wafers.

Make sure the current goes directly on to the driftwood. Mine would sit on the driftwood right in front of the output from the Fluval filter.

PCG
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
One thing I've read about GNs that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is a lot of them are not doing well when you buy them and die shortly after you get them home. They say to take a very good look at it before you buy...particularly the belly. Avoid any with a sunken belly, as even if they eat when you get them home, the damage is often already done, and they die anyway.

I've had one for about three months now, and it's an amazing addition. IME, it likes to hide a lot, but if you have enough safe places for it, it'll feel comfortable moving back and forth between them and you'll be able to see it in all its beauty more often.

toddnbecka
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Healthy gold nuggets have symbiotic bacteria in their gut that helps them digest their food. If they go too long w/out eating (usually being held by distributors who import the fish, but don't feed them to save on maintenance) the bacteria die and the pleco's will starve. Once the bacteria die the fish can't be saved, regardless of what you feed them. Look for one that's been at the shop for at least a few weeks and is healthy overall, but particularly w/out a sunken belly.
No fish should be fed meat like beef or poultry, they can't digest the fats properly. Frozen bloodworms are an excellent supplement, and NLS is probably the best staple food for just about any species of pleco IME. Even my L204's (wood eaters) don't have any problems digesting it, and the baby BN's grow very well on it.

Crispy
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
The sunken belly/eyes is a huge sign that the GN won't live. Thats why I would never buy one online.... it's good to see them in quarantine for a few weeks.