PDA

View Full Version : Waiting...waiting...waiting

fishy_sarah
03-20-2007, 12:42 AM
I had my pregnant platy in a separate tank and she dropped five fry on Sunday morning. She didn't drop anymore and I was afraid she'd eat the five (I am very new at this breeding thing) so I moved her to my 29 gallon. Well today she is still absolutely huge. No sign of any fish born in the big tank (though with all my fish they may have been eaten) but she is clearly still pregnant. I know there are more in there. I don't want to put her back in with the fry, so I have her in a plastic breeder. She still hasn't dropped. How can I make her more comfortable? I know being in a breeder trap is not ideal but if she drops in the tank I will definitely lose the babies- I've had at least four pregnancies play out in the tank but never saw a single fry. The only fry I've ever had (three) were from a different platy in a breeding trap, but I really am hoping to get more than the original five from this pregnancy.

Temperature is 80, light is off, I am waiting patiently......I started doing a pwc but the siphon kept knocking the breeder trap over and it took me 20 minutes to catch her last time (with pulling every bit of java moss and decoration out of the tank) Last one was last Wednesday. Is there anything else I can do?

Shanni
03-20-2007, 02:44 AM
I have had the same issue.

I would put the platy back in a small tank and put your betta in a birthing tank for a couple days, or you can put the betta in the big tank with the other fish. I always had a betta in with my fish and it didnt bother them at all, except it picked on a black male molly with silver speckles(it attracked it alot) just keep an eye on it for awhile.

Platys also will be pregnant and release babies while and will still have eggs producing and aren't ready until the next batch are fully developed, so it might be awhile before she has more, unless she isn't finished giving birth, but I haven't come across a fish taking more than a couple hours to have babies.

My water had never been that high either.

Hope i helped a bit!!!

fishy_sarah
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi Shanni.

Last night I put the pregnant platy back in the fry tank, and this morning it looked like there were a couple new babies and no more big belly. Since my gravel is the exact same color as the new fish, it is hard to get a head count. She is now back with the other fish. I am going to leave Leo (the betta) in the 3 gallon for now, when he was in with the other fish in the beginning all he did ws hide and I think he prefers being alone. I will keep u and everyone updated on the fry!

Shanni
03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I find that platys are very edgy when it comes to being comfortable to have their babies, so it was a good thing you put her back.

With betta fish thats what they do, they stay away from the other fish in the tank and do there own thing, so it wouldn't harm him to be with the other fish, but you do what you feel is best for him.

check the fry tank really good and let me know how many more you have!

Take care,

Shanni

fishy_sarah
03-21-2007, 02:46 AM
7 came out of hiding today when I fed them. There may be more I haven't seen.

AquaQueen
03-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Congrats on your babies....sounds like you did the right thing putting Mom back in with the fry. Don't be surprised when you go to clean the tank and move the gravel around there will be more hiding under there...I have 5 guppy fry...well I thought I did til I moved them and found out I had 22 fry...lol so ya never know. Good Luck with them hun.

Shanni
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Hello, how are your babies doing?

I wanted to try and breed my Albino Tiger Barbs, so I asked some questions and took the advice, and my male died after I put him back into my community tank. Then this morning my female was dead and my little female was dying, and eventually she died. The worst part of it all was that my bigger female was actually filling with eggs.

I would have to drive almost 2 hrs to get to walmart to buy more cause where I live there aren't any pet stores.

Shanni

fishy_sarah
03-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm so sorry Shanni.

When i fed the fry today, eight came up and picked at the food. There may be more hiding. Sometimes when I feed, only two come up....but the food sinks, so I think the food is getting to the others. They seem to be growing already. The ones I see look twice the size as they were when they were born. Do you know how long it will be until I can put them in the big aquarium?

Shanni
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
When my baby guppies are ruffly this long _____ thats when i put them into my big tank probably around 2 months. When you do put them in watch for who will chase them if any bigger fish do, then what i do is take that fish and put them in the biggest scooper you have and put it in the tank for awhile, and after that you shouldn't have any problems. It worked for me before. After your big fish get used to the little ones being put into the tank you shouldn't have any problems.

When you put them with the big fish they grow faster and colouring starts quickly.

bye bye

shanni

Helen
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Shanni,

I have also experienced your problems with all my baby platys being eaten when born - twice. I didn't move the mum on either occassion to another tank, but i did try once to put her in a fry net i have (which works for my baby guppies until they are large enough to not be eaten). This freaked her out, she was banging against the netting, so i had to take her out, then she gave birth in the night, i saw one fry in the morning, but it didn't survive. I thought that moving her to another tank would upset her, so decided to keep her in her natural enviroment. Next time her stomach gets fat, i will move her out. Sorry, not much help to you!

Shanni
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
hi,

I never had problems with my babies getting eaten, I'm not sure where you got that from. I usually take the babies outta the birthing tank as the female is having them.

I have 4 guppies just filling up now, and waiting for 8 more babies to get big enough for the big tank.

i need more fish lol