PDA

View Full Version : How much salt in a freshwater tank?

Streen
07-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey I've got a coldwater fresh water tank, and reading the Diseases forum about "ick" someone said they use salt in their freshwater tank and theyve never got ick.

If I wanted to do this, how much should I put in?

Are there any real downsides to it?

Red
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Wouldn't do it,never added salt to my aquariusm and havent had ich in years.

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Fish get used to the salt in their water and then it's not as effective when needed for treatment. Freshwater fish do not need salt in their water but mollies are said to prefer it.

Z Fish Man
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
most of us only put in salt to medicate and don't do it on a regular basis. some scaleless fish are sensitive to it so it isn't recommended for fish like oto's. Also if you do intend to salt your tank then makek sure you use aquarium salt or salt without iodine as it is toxic to fish. Ick tends to only appear if your fish are stressed for one reason or another.

troy
07-23-2009, 01:03 AM
The ich will adapt to the salt if you add it to try to prevent ich.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Also if you do intend to salt your tank then makek sure you use aquarium salt or salt without iodine as it is toxic to fish.

Iodized salt does not contain iodine. Iodized salt contains iodide. while iodine is toxic to fish, iodide is not. Just thought I'd clear that up since it is common mistake.

DollyVarden
07-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I use aquarium salt only when needed but not with scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches.