PDA

View Full Version : Info on breeding julidochromis Marlier.....please ?

hogboa
03-26-2006, 02:38 AM
My Julidochromis Marlier have bred twice but I did not witness ANYTHING! From Start to finish................nothing:bawl:
These being one of my Fav. Tangs, I took the pair & placed them in an identicle enviroment,in their OWN 55 gal:D
Would someone please tell me signs to look for from courtship to laying to guard duty activity................. please ?

AND could anyone/someone give me some stats ? As in
1) How often do tey lay?
2) how long from laying to hatching ?
3) On average,# of fry per breeding ?
4) since a apir mate for life, would multiple females work?
5) Any sites or breeders ( ESPECIALLY IN TN! ) you's personally recommend for purchasing outstanding Julies? Any of the julie family
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and a BIG thanks for ANY info !
Dave

William
03-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi
Have you breed other cave breeding cichlids? I'm asking since you will se the saem beahaviour in your maier that you have in those. You might however not se much guarding behaviour if they have their own large aquarium. They might even become more stressed without other fish that tells them that there are no dangers around and might therefore be harder to breed in this new tank.

How old are they. Some pairs need to train before they their spawning results in fry.

Answers based on own experinces.
1. They can lay eggs often, atleast once a month.
2. depend on the temperature.
3. don't expect many fry from a young pair. 10-20 which might grow up to around 50 as they grow older.
4. No. As you say they mate and live in pairs for life.
5. Sorry, can't help you there. Could recommend some in sweden but that wouldn't help you ;-)

hogboa
03-26-2006, 03:06 PM
1st time with cave dwellers,but not with cichlids.I'd never thought that bout being by thenselves. What about adding somw 1 1/2 " Compys? Thoughts? Thanks so much for your time! What bout adding other Julie species?dicks? Regani?.....ect?

William
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok.
You can usually se the parents starting to guard a particular cave when they are about to spawn. You can also se them clean an area in the cave for their eggs. The rest of the pre breeding behaviour is quite similar to other none mouthbrooding cichlids.

Some compys might work. Some leptosoma might also be a good option.

You can keep more than one pair julies in your 55 gallon. I would personally recommend j. "gombi" which is my favourite jullie.

hogboa
03-28-2006, 12:40 AM
William.can ya post pic of J. gombi ? I live in a small town in TN & julies rarely scome in the local pet store. I've got 3 diff species from the pet store and ALL of them were told to me by the PS to be diff. species than they are. PLUS if I order a pair,S&H cost more than the pair! I've got other julies,dicks and trans...should I put them in with my breeding pair of marlier? I don't think none of em are pair,they've never bred
I've got bout 20 + 1" baby aurauts I'd trade for a pair in a heartbeat!
Does anyone know any tang breeders in east TN?
William Thanks for your replies ! Your VERY helpful

William
03-28-2006, 02:39 AM
gombi pictures (http://images.google.com.mx/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:sv-SE:official_s&hl=en&q=gombi&btnG=Google+Search&percentage_served=100&sa=N&tab=wi)

Julidochromis sp. Gombi or Julidochromis transcriptus Gombi depending on how you ask.

hogboa
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Gombi......please ?

William
03-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Didn't you se the pictures in google search of Gombi? The link in my last post namned gombi pictures

It is usually considered a type of Julidochromis transcriptus hence the common used name Julidochromis transcriptus "Gombi" however some believe that it should be it's own species.

hogboa
03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks !

William
04-02-2006, 06:30 AM
I came across this site that seems to sell some nice Jullies.
http://www.jmtrops.com/Tanganyika.htm