PDA

View Full Version : My betta is insane

fishy_sarah
03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
When I started my 29 gallon tank last May (after it was cycled) I decided to get a betta. I had the gold barbs, a gourami, a few platys and the tetras. I figured the male betta would be fine because these are all peaceful fish and not fin nippers.

Well, my betta was terrified. All he did was hide in a little cave. I named him Leo the Cowardly Lion. He would stick his head out and when another fish swam by, he'd dart back in and stay there. He wouldn't eat for a week, he'd swim up to get food, another fish would swim by, and he'd dart back into his cave.

Well, after giving him over a week to calm down and it not happening, I bought him his own five and a half gallon tank, planted it, and put him in. He was soon eating happily and building bubble nests.

Well, a month ago, I noticed the tank was getting a lot algae, and besides, it had room for more fish, so I decided to go with an otto. You know, a nice, gentle otto, gets along with everything?

Well, Leo took one look at the poor otto and went after it like a guided missile. I had to scoop the fella out so it wouldn't get killed.

Apparently my shy little Leo has turned into a terror.

I don't want to chance putting another fish with him, so he has the whole five and a half gallon to himself! He is the most spoiled betta in the world! He won't even eat unless I unplug the filter, because he doesn't like to chase his food!

They say cats are finicky and spoiled but my betta is one up on them.

Drumachine09
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
You might try corydoras. They are small, peaceful, and they stay to themselves at the bottom for the most part.

fishy_sarah
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Never had corys, but I could try. They could always go in the big tank if it doesn't work. I could also try the cories with Spike and evict Leo to the 3 gallon. I'll have to see. Has anyone ever tried a platy with a betta, or a molly?

Glasstapper
03-20-2007, 02:20 AM
My crowntail won't allow tankmates at all. I once tried him with a couple of albino corys and he didn't like that one bit. I left them in there for a day or so, but he wouldn't let up on them and their fins were looking pretty rough. I moved them into another tank, and continued to keep my betta by himself. I was tempted to try an otto or a snail to help keep the algae down, but he won't even tolerate me sitting in front of his tank! He flares up at me when I'm sitting in front, and goes nuts when I actually put my figer on the glass.

Try a couple of corys since some people have success with them, but be prepared that maybe your betta just won't allow any tankmates whatsoever.

minabird
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Your betta claimed the entire 5 gal as his territory and when you placed the otto in there, he went after it because he saw it as an intruder. At your next water change, pull your betta out and redecorate his tank by moving some things around or putting a couple new plants or decoration in. Then place the otto in there first, acclimating it in their slowly. Place your betta in their after your otto looks like its settled down. By remaking your tank, and putting the betta in after the otto, your betta doesn't have an established territory anymore. Watch your betta for aggression and be ready to yank out your otto. You could also do the same thing with your 29 gal if you want to try out the betta in there again, except put the betta in first. Hopefully, he won't try to claim the entire tank like he did with the 5 gal.

Incredulous_Ed
03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Bettas have different personalities. Some might attack everything they see while others may allow many different tankmates to reside with them.

fishy_sarah
03-20-2007, 10:49 PM
That's an idea about rearranging the tank. I can't uproot my plants, but I could add some plastic ones, do you think that would be enough?

Also, I heard on another forum about nerite snails, how they eat algae. I could shop around for some of those. There are some little ramshorn snails in there and he completely ignores them, so snails might be the way to go.

minabird
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
the plastic plants would work. If you plan on keeping him in the 5 gal, put the cave he liked so much when he was in your 29gal community tank. Put the cave on one side of the tank to serve as a central point for his territory; that'll leave the other side as unclaime space that your ottos could be safe in (hopefully).

Not sure about those specific type of snails. But for algae control, the typical pond snails aren't the most efficient. They produce too much waste for the little amount of algea they eat. For better algae control, you need to reduce the excess nutrients in the water. If you're adding a liquid fertilizer, reduce the amount and/or frequency you add or you can use live plants instead of the plastic plants. Get some fast growers such as the ludwigia sp. or dwarf sagittaria, wich propagates really quickly.