PDA

View Full Version : Floating Plants for Discus Tank

Winnipeg Jets 11
07-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi there,

What floating plants would you suggest for a 70 gallon discus tank?

Jacko
07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Dwarf water lettuce is great, so is amazon frogbit, both have low leaves so you don't have to worry about lowering the water level to give the plants space (if you do want to do this, look at water hyacinths, they're black roots look awesome near discus).

Winnipeg Jets 11
07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply Jacko! I Googled the plants you wrote about and am interested in putting a few in my tank.

Cheers.

Jacko
07-21-2009, 06:32 AM
No problem lol

I thought of a couple others that might work, salvinia or duckweed but they're more of a weed than a floating plant IMO lol, I still have them both though. I've also got dwarf lettuce... incredibly easy to grow and multiplies very fast.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah. Jacko is right on with this one.

My frogbit has been great. I need to throw about 1 bucket every month it grows so fast. Depending on the tank the roots can get anywhere from 1in to 10inches.....

I've also had water hyacinths in my old 110g tank. They definitely get tall above the water so if space is limited you might not want these. But their roots looked pretty sweet.

There are a few other floaters that are kinda like frogbit but i know nothing about them and haven't had them so i don't know. Red root rooter? something like that may be one i always wanted.

robflanker
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Winipeg - didnt I read another thread about you not having enough light?

You might want to hold off on floating plants as this will just reduce your light more

Winnipeg Jets 11
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the advice! Yes, you did read another thread about me not having enough light, but I am looking into purchasing more light once I can figure out what will work best for my 68 gallon 24'' deep tank. The advice from another forum member was to upgrade the lighting first and then get some floaters to give the discus areas of shade. So I be looking into a new T5 HO setup to add to my existing before doing anything.

robflanker
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
ah ok just clarifying

Crispy
07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I currently have water lettuce and hyacinth both floating in my tank... looks great and the fish love 'em.