PDA

View Full Version : inherited a betta!

jb300m01
07-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi all,
So I took my fiancee, the maid of honor, and the future mother in law to have their dresses fitted again before the wedding. I'm chilling in the car watching a storm move in when I get a call. It's my girl asking "do you want a betta and an orange fish?"

Of course I say yes. I've been wanting a betta for a while. I wasn't sure what the orange fish was, but I had some thoughts.

I go to the apartment and in a vase about 1.5 gallons (it was a big vase) is a blue male betta and a goldfish! I checked them over and they both look to be in excellent health. No heater or filter though. She's had the betta for 2 years (her son went on vacation and gave the betta to her to watch... he never picked it up!) She was doing water changes every 2-3 days for 2 years for a fish she never wanted!

I stopped at the pet store on the way home and grabbed a bag of natural gravel and a few fake plants (doing live plants eventually) and some food. I have an old HOB filter & a 50 watt heater in my old 10 gallon. It looks so small next to the 75! lol.

I'm taking the goldfish (almost an inch big) to the pet store tomorrow because I do NOT want a goldfish.

I'll post some pics when he is settled. thumbs2:

Northernguy
07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Thats a great score! A ten is perfect.You can add some cardinals now!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Awwww...Keep the little Goldfish...he's been through a LOT!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

jb300m01
07-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Thats a great score! A ten is perfect.You can add some cardinals now!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd love to add more fish! I'll give the betta some alone time first.

Awwww...Keep the little Goldfish...he's been through a LOT!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

He's a trooper! The pet store I'm taking him at has a large goldfish pond that I'll put him in though. He'll be with his family!

Sharon
07-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Ok...that does sound wonderful for the little guy!thumbs2:

VoidParadigm
07-21-2009, 01:38 AM
=o Congrats! Wish I could get a betta, everyone's been telling me I should, :lol: but with two tanks and my electronics I need for work my sockets are totally maxed out in the only room that's off-limits to my cats. =(

Just make sure you don't forget to show us some pics when he's settled in! =D

rich311k
07-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Congrats on the betta! They do great in ten gallon tanks.

jb300m01
07-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks all! Pics should be up tomorrow.

Things I don't think he's ever seen: corners, heat, constant flowing water, suction, hot water, or driftwood. He seems confused and/or intrigued by all of these. He really likes the driftwood now though.

Also, he just noticed the fish in the 75 (they are right next to each other). Doesn't understand why he can't get to them.