PDA

View Full Version : pond starting

bocrayfish
07-20-2009, 06:36 AM
:22: warning long post
so my dad moved and his land lords have ponds theve left to rot so know im entrusted with my dads help of course to set it up again:hmm3grin2orange: so 2 are already full of water the pump well have to fix up or buy new the other 2 have weeds growing in them ill update you guys on the exact size later its about 6 by 2 and for the other 2 its about 4 by 3 realy not sure of the size down sooooo heres the stocking plan
smaller 1
2 red ear slider turtles
10 mollys
2 crayfish
smaller 2
1 koi
2 angel fish
[would fire eels work]
2 fire eels

big 1
5 crayfish
[ a good species of pond catfish ]
2 koi
20 mollys

big 2
im stumped any recomendations

any advice ill keep this thread hot with updates on project pond:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
07-20-2009, 10:58 PM
dang!Sounds more like an aquarium inside then a pond!Im jealous.Problem is that some of the fish will not be as fully appreciated in a pond as they would be in a tank but thats up to you.Depnding on the size of these ponds a channel cat would work if the pond is well over 1000 gallons.

bushwhacker
07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
pond one, the mollies and angels are going to be eaten by the koi and the turtles, probably the crays too.

pond two, any catfish worth his salt is gonna clean up the mollys in short order

smaug
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Koi do not eat other fish.I have mollys and rosy red minnows in with my koi and they are fine.

bocrayfish
07-23-2009, 04:31 AM
okay new plan did a litte reaserch and edited stoking plan
smaller pond 1
4 oscars
a couple crayfish [plenty of hiding spaces]
smaller pond 2
2 red ear sliders
a bunch of mollys
big pond 1
2-4 koi [its a pretty big pond]
5 crayfish
10 ghost shrimp im hopping the will reproduce faster than they are eaten
big2
still dont know what to put in
recomendations
favorite fish legal in hawaii. id rather not have to smuglle my fish in:hmm3grin2orange:

bocrayfish
08-12-2009, 06:28 AM
okay update the land lord doesnt want us to use one of the smaller ponds
so the updated diametersare
small
10 feet by 5ft by 3ft
big
20ft by 5ft by 3ft

AquaLene
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Fire eels are gorgeous, but be aware they are nocturnal predators and get big, up to 1 meter long. They are generally peaceful but will most probably prey on any fish they can fit in their mouths (the molly's for example and small goldfish). Deep/high bodied fish like Oscars should be fine with them.

I unfortunately doubt you would get to see much of them in a pond, they like to hide and burrow under gravel or mud. Also they jump, and high, I am not sure if they would try to escape out of a pond, but in tanks one needs tight fitting lids to keep these escape artists inside.

My eels are still young and quite small, my biggest is only about 24cm (9,5") and has eaten a fully grown male guppy in no time. I only keep them with the larger high bodied fish now.

Hope this helps!

BIO-Linist
08-13-2009, 02:34 AM
okay update the land lord doesnt want us to use one of the smaller ponds
so the updated diametersare
small
10 feet by 5ft by 3ft
big
20ft by 5ft by 3ft
Assuming they're rectangular box shaped that's about a thousand gallons for the small and two thousand for the big.

I'm from Oahu. What island are you from? What is the weather like at the ponds location? Do they get lots of sun, or are they shaded by a building or something?

I'm concerned that the turtles and the crayfish will escape. (possibly invasive)
I've personally seen crayfish walks after a rainy night, leaving trails of little holes in the mud that are crayfish footprints.